X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

creating distance between user and cell phone

Hi
    There is a lot of "todo" lately about people constantly checking their cellphones in addition to constantly staring at the thing.

I, personally see at the college a lot of students staring at their cell phones for the "usual" reasons but also because our LMS system, which is open source, it is called Canvas really does adapt itself to different "form factors' but anyway.

One of the things that college students do AS SOON AS THEY ARISE FROM THE SEATS to leave is get the cell phone out to check "for new stuff".

I have actually had two young ladies with their phone right on their nose walking down the hall not realize they were at a corner and ran into me...as have many other instructors... sad...

I...PERSONALLY literally use the cell phone all day to interact with students concerns or questions and sending me homework on the phone etc. and also to check for various things like messages from family etc.

FOR ME...the problem is not "staring at the phone" it is "checking the messages"...

And I recognized when I first got my first Android S2 that this was going to be a gradually increasing problem so...

This is NOT on the Iphone but there is an app for the Android which displays a COLORED icon that can be "generic" or also will display the icon of the app such as Yahoo mail in various sizes.

The app is called "NoLed".

I immediately installed it and after a month or so donated some money because...

What I was IMMEDIATELLY able to do was just "lay the phone down" and when a "noise" sounded, that something came in I could LITERALLY SEE FROM ACROSS THE ROOM.

The very large import is that one does not

a) have to have the phone nearby
    b) "at a glance" from across the room I can decide what to do, ignore, check, whatever.
    c) the whole thing about "using the phone in the car" is also solved. I can merely glance at it to see what is going on, and if I need to interact, pull over and park.

that was a great thing in and of itself, but, if it was across the room, I could often not see it when it was "laying down" so I made a several "make do" holders, like cutting a notch into a foam coffee cup, etc to stand the phone up...and

OF GREAT IMPORT...not SCRATCH THE EXPENSIVE THING... lol ..they didn't work well but did ok..

But then I was at one of my favourite stores Wireless Trendz ( it is a repair place and so does not have to stock only apple or whatever) and asked about such a thing and the person pointed at this and I RIGHT THEN AND THERE purchased three.

a) car
    b) kitchen / living room transition area
    c) bedroom.

Believe me when I say that I have literally received e-mails from students that were in emergency rooms, at 2:00 a.m. because a family member was in a car wreck, or whatever to tell me that she or he would not be in class tomorrow and I reply ...i know, it sounds obsessive compulsive but my students really "onboard" with my classes and this is just one reason.

But, when the thing sounds, and I ONLY allow a few things to have a sound, I can roll over in bed if it is the college e-mail I can check it because only a student would be e-mailing me in the middle of the night..or not do anything and roll over to go back to sleep.

Again, not all the apps are allowed to produce sounds, so I can have a full night's sleep.

BUt...the important thing is that this holder has a "notch" that allows the phone to stand up at an angle and won't scratch the phone.

I'm just sayin' that there is a lot of complaining on the net but most folks really can't "just quit" the phone and this is at least a way to "get some distance" from it, literally and figuratively.

I am not a paid sponsor of the device or anything like that.

it is the "Roadster Smartphone sticky pad"...

it is also at "Batteries Plus" and is probably at many such "battery stores" or phone repair places.

woodsmoke

PPS, one of the reasons that WT is one of my fave places is that they literally helped me install Kubuntu on a phone that I had dropped and broken stuff but it still functioned so i decided to get a newer phone and suggested that I would pay some cash to make the attempt. The owner thought this was hilarious and we tried, following a Youbtube instruction and almost got there.

so, I mailed it off to a fellow that used to haunt Kubu forums and, from his reply, he actually got it to install...

so that is why a cell phone repair place is one of my fave stores. lol
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Feb 22, 2019, 12:53 AM.

Two items, re this trend:

1) The novel; "Age of the Pussyfoot" by Frederik Pohl (1966). Still being published. Gives a prescient vision of what the world had become and, IMO, we are there now.
    2) "You will be assimilated" spoken by every Borg assimilant, ever. Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

The first item is moderately upbeat and describes a world in which humanity remains functional within the digital environment.

The second item is the downfall of humanity into being mere vehicles for the AI (singular).

woodsmoke, your description of college life remains closer to item #1 above, but I'll note that our AIs are not yet as sophisticated as the Borg.

Something to watch, for those of us who are old enough to remember the non-digital (analog?) world. For those too young to have known this and those unwilling to remember history, Welcome to the Borg... That's not a joke.

Now Get Off My Lawn! said the old curmudgeon.
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

LOL great post and I had not heard of that story, I will look it up!

and as to the BORG...yep.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
      X