X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS extending Win7 support 3 yrs

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/micr...odern-desktop/

Win7 security support ends Jan 14, 2020. For an increasing annual payment you can extend the support to Jan 14, 2023
    Whoop da dee!

Windows 7 Extended Security Updates

As previously announced, Windows 7 extended support is ending January 14, 2020. While many of you are already well on your way in deploying Windows 10, we understand that everyone is at a different point in the upgrade process.

With that in mind, today we are announcing that we will offer paid Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU) through January 2023. The Windows 7 ESU will be sold on a per-device basis and the price will increase each year. Windows 7 ESUs will be available to all Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise customers in Volume Licensing, with a discount to customers with Windows software assurance, Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows 10 Education subscriptions. In addition, Office 365 ProPlus will be supported on devices with active Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU) through January 2023. This means that customers who purchase the Windows 7 ESU will be able to continue to run Office 365 ProPlus.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

But not for Windows Home users.
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Windows 7 was the last fairly decent version of Microsoft's OS. Windows 8 was bizarre, and Windows 9 (10) is just another attempt to cover up errors of the previous edition. I no longer use Windows, but I liked it before I found Linux. The worst edition was Windows 2000, which was incredibly slow on my laptop at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
        Windows 7 was the last fairly decent version of Microsoft's OS. Windows 8 was bizarre, and Windows 9 (10) is just another attempt to cover up errors of the previous edition. I no longer use Windows, but I liked it before I found Linux. The worst edition was Windows 2000, which was incredibly slow on my laptop at the time.
        "cover up errors" and make money off them in the process. Typically M$. At work we went through the entire genera: Win95, NT, NT4, 2000 (remember the two bytes that tracked the crashes?) , XP, VISTA (which was REALLY bad and could never stay up more than 30 minutes), 7, and after I retired 8, and 10. Several of the 495 workstations still ran Win95 in 2005.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

2000 was the worst?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
          Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
            2000 was the worst?
            IMO don't think any other version of Windows was as bad as their VISTA version. 2000 was not a close second, Win95/Win98 was third worse, then NT and NT4. Win7 was probably the best OS Microsoft released.

Comment

I had an old laptop at the time with Windows 98, and so I upgraded to Windows 2000 and it took forever to get set up to run. I never used Vista except occasionally at the school where I worked, so I can't compare. XP worked well enough once the bugs were ironed out. I never used NT or NT4. Windows 7 worked well enough on my netbook (starter edition) but I had to install Office on it as the one that came with the computer was very limited and had to be replaced. I never could figure out Windows 8, it was a real hybrid (or maybe just a tumor).

Comment

I never used windows after win7 the last win machine I had was put in retirement about 6 years ago. Only linux since then and haven't missed it a bit.
                But there were are are still no good windows releases after 7.
                Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Working...
                X