Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DropBox drops Linux support for all but ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought I share my approach to online storage. I am moving to OneDrive, 6TB of storage for €100 per year is hard to beat (Office 365 subscription for 6 individuals with 1 TB each). Obviously Microsoft doesn't even offer Linux support but this one https://github.com/abraunegg/onedrive works fine so far and is actively maintained.
    I use OneDrive primarily as a secondary backup location for my data (pictures, documents, etc.) which is why I am encrypting everything with Cryptomator before it get's pushed up to the cloud. Clear text access is achieved via mapping the encrypted container to a local folder with https://github.com/cryptomator/cli
    What I like about Cryptomator is that it suports other platforms, which means I can get to my encrypted files from e.g. my Android phone. So far things work as expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas00 View Post
      So far.....
      Me, being the cynic that I am.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Me, being the cynic that I am.
        Microsoft has cut me off at the knees twice with its sudden cancellation of dev tools that I was using. The second time was VisualFoxPro. They told me and 250,000 other devs using VFP to move to .NET or take a hike. I took the hike and found the Qt API. Glad I did. .NET was responsible for the 1B$ loss of the London Stock Exchange when their Microsoft+Adventura "solution" to trading crashed the second time and took them off line for 7 hrs, a lifetime in the trading industry. The LSE ended up buying a Linux based stock trading software written by MillenniumIT. In fact, they bought the whole company for $18M and now markets it. The .NET crashed while trying to do a transaction in under 2 milliseconds. The MIT will do one in 0.126 milliseconds.

What's funny about this, from my POV, was the Microsoft had an ad campaign around the .NET trading software they were writing for the LSE. It was called "The Highly Reliable Times" and MS claimed that the LSE chose the .NET solution after a series of run-off tests. It turned out that no such tests were ever conducted, and the highly reliable times wasn't.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          ... The second time was VisualFoxPro. They told me and 250,000 other devs using VFP to move to .NET or take a hike. I took the hike and found the Qt API...
          VisualFoxPro...yes I remember that one, I went all the way from dBase to Foxpro and finally VisualFoxPro. Still remember the Microsoft Product Manager at TechEd in Nice introducing the beta version of VFP with some on stage live coding. He was showing how the all new event handlers work by calling the handler of the event he was adding code to!? There were a few muffled "don't do it" from the audience but it was too late. Enter was hit, machine crashed, presentation over and we got to an early beer :-)

@Snowhog, no problem with cynicism :-)
          As far as my OneDrive setup is concerned, I have this environment running on my Ubuntu server for more than 6 months now without any issues. The only thing I changed as a response to the latest Dropbox move is that I switched from one-way sync via RSYNC to two-way sync with the github onedrive tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas00 View Post
            VisualFoxPro...yes I remember that one, I went all the way from dBase to Foxpro and finally VisualFoxPro. Still remember the Microsoft Product Manager at TechEd in Nice introducing the beta version of VFP with some on stage live coding. He was showing how the all new event handlers work by calling the handler of the event he was adding code to!? There were a few muffled "don't do it" from the audience but it was too late. Enter was hit, machine crashed, presentation over and we got to an early beer :-)
            I really liked VFP6, but when we finally got the out state offices hooked into the network and the county homestead clerks started using the homestead app, it took 20 minutes to load and as long to use a select to bring up a retiree's page. That's because VFP, instea of doing the select on the server and sending just the results, sent the entire DB to the client workstation so it could pick out the applicable record. I was on the VFP forum of the UniversalThread, along with 250,000 other VFP programmers, looking for possible solutions when one of the VFP devs announced that he had been promoted to MVP and that he was inviting everyone to learn a new tool called .NET, which was the basis of a new UT forum. Then he announced that MS was discontinuing VFP within a year and advised everyone to move their applications to .NET. The uproar on UT was thunderous. That's when I decided that since MS was forcing me to change, I will change to a tool of my choice, not theirs. I tested Boa-Constructor, Java Beans, Python, and various HTML tools. Then I discovered Qt from Trolltech. I started testing it and almost dropped it because app development was entirely through their Designer, a GUI tool for creating interfaces, and it was extremely clutzy. Most stuff was added or dropped by adding or dropping items in a dropdown combo box. Just then, Tolltech announced Qt 4.0 Alpha, which reverted to the standard paradigm for C++ development. It was, and is, an awesome tool.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Box.net is dropping webdav support too, so this won't work anymore https://github.com/noiselabs/box-linux-sync/

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
              Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Working...
              X