Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DropBox drops Linux support for all but ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DropBox drops Linux support for all but ...

clean, unencrypted EXT4 folders.

Use Btrfs? EXT3? ZFS? NFS? FAT32? encrypt? Valuts? Forget about DropBox.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Sync.../290058#M42250

TIme to drop DropBox:
    https://syncthing.net/

Secure & Private

• Private. None of your data is ever stored anywhere else other than on your computers. There is no central server that might be compromised, legally or illegally.
    • Encrypted. All communication is secured using TLS. The encryption used includes perfect forward secrecy to prevent any eavesdropper from ever gaining access to your data.
    • Authenticated. Every node is identified by a strong cryptographic certificate. Only nodes you have explicitly allowed can connect to your cluster.

• Open Discourse. Development and usage is always open for discussion.
      Syncthing Discussion Forum
    • Open Source. All source code is available on GitHub — what you see is what you get, there is no hidden funny business.
      Syncthing Source Code
    • Open Protocol. The protocol is a documented standard — no hidden magic.
      Syncthing Protocol Definition
    • Open Development. Any bugs found are immediately visible for anyone to browse — no hidden flaws.
    And then there is ownCloud, which is in our repository and
    The ownCloudSync system lets you always have your latest files wherever you are. Just specify one or more folders on the local machine and a server to synchronize to. You can configure more computers to synchronize to the same server and any change to the files on one computer will silently and reliably flow across to every other.

Dolphin ownCloud is an extension that integrates the ownCloud web service with your Plasma Desktop (KDE).

If you have a static front facing IP address you're set!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Those, of course require one's own storage. Not many have access to offsite, external storage for this purpose.

I only use dropbox via a browser extension that tracks tasks for my night job, so I am basically using the web to send the data to my dropbox, so I doubt I am affected.

Also, I do like SyncThing, but it is a yuuuuge pita to set up

Comment

On the DropBox forum many complained that they were running Ubuntu with EXT4 and no encryption but were flagged anyway as being “not compatible”.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I wonder why they care what file system anyone uses. If they were concerned about their users, they'd drop ntfs and vfat support instead

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Also, I do like SyncThing, but it is a yuuuuge pita to set up
          Huh? No problems installing here. But it is wonky - you can really migrate to a new install or user folder, you have to re-login and sync to a new location every time.

Please Read Me

Comment

Those posting on the DropBox forum suggest that blocking encryption allows DropBox to sift their data for demographic info and LEOs to use warrantless searching.

Comment

That they would want to monetize their users is very likely and also very like a big company in Redmond and the big search engine makers. So now this makes a new niche market for "private" data storage.

Thanks GG, for the links to alternatives.

I find that I don't trust any third party storage, even if the developers have good intent, they put their servers on the 'net and face a continual attack. We've all read the reports of data breaches in some very large databases, particularly the financial businesses. It's a jungle out their and I don't want to put my data in an exposed location, no matter how high a fence they claim.
              Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                That they would want to monetize their users is very likely and also very like a big company in Redmond and the big search engine makers. So now this makes a new niche market for "private" data storage.

Thanks GG, for the links to alternatives.

I find that I don't trust any third party storage, even if the developers have good intent, they put their servers on the 'net and face a continual attack. We've all read the reports of data breaches in some very large databases, particularly the financial businesses. It's a jungle out their and I don't want to put my data in an exposed location, no matter how high a fence they claim.
                I pay an extra $5/mo for a static IPv4 address but haven't implemented any process to access that IP from a remote location. Probably because I never travel anywhere. I could take my wife's laptop and use it to access my data, but most of my data is on my iPhone and Apple and the NSA already have it. That's also why I never encrypt any of my folders. IF I were still writing software for clients I'd encrypt and set up a remote connection.

Comment

It's sad that using encryption makes one look more suspicious. Commentary on our world today...
                  Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

It is sad, but I suspect that DropBox can't monetize your data if they cannot browse through it. In today's digital age WE are the product. The apps are the bait.

When currency goes totally digital it will only get worse and you won't be able to control your own bank account. I just read where FaceBook is asking banks to hand FB their customer's personal data, balance and transaction information, although FB says they are "just partnering" with the banks. Ya. uh huh.

Remember when Google used to say "First, do no evil"? Twitter at one time labeled itself as “the free speech wing of the free speech party,” it removed that slogan when then-CEO Dick Costolo departed July 2015,

Facebook, Google, Twitter, YouTube and Microsoft have gone full blown Left and jumped the Marxist shark with their massive attacks on half the population's right to free speech without SJW censorship. Where will it end up? You attempt to buy something that is not politically approve of by them and THEY will deny you your right to do so. PayPal and some banks have already done this to private citizens.

Up to now, all one had to do was change banks or payment centers to those which align more closely with the Bill of Rights. But, where do you go when all major online social centers suppress your right to express your opinion by labeling it "hate speech" if it doesn't align with their opinion? And who made Zukerberg god? Start your own web site and post your opinions there? Ya, right. Google filters your site out of search results and your ISP gets a threatening letter from Louie The Leg Breaker stating that things won't go well for them if they don't cancel your account for violation of some ambiguous ToS. A friend of mine who is a preacher had his FB account shutdown after six years, without a single notice, previous or past, and without warning. His crime? Simply posting verses from the Bible, which he has been doing for six years.

There are five clauses in the 1st Amendment. ALL of them are up for grabs right now. Enjoy them will you can.
                    The 4th, 5th, 8th and several others have been infringed so badly that they are effectively dead. The 1st is rapidly dying. The supression of the 2nd will set off the fireworks. That will be a sad day for all. Especially when both sides realize, like the Venezuelans did, that toilet paper doesn't grow magically on grocery store shelves.
                    Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 11, 2018, 12:50 PM.

Comment

It used to be that you could vote with your wallet. But when that wallet is no longer in your control, let alone physical possession, what options are left?

I do predict a return to black market transactions. Not that they don't exist today, but there will be a larger incentive to avoid the digital tracking of all sales. That won't work for online transactions, unfortunately.

I don't have much hope for the younger generations because they have no concept of a free market economy. They will not attempt to reject the collar and leash which they already wear, proudly.

We older types face attrition in our numbers... The PTB can simply wait until enough of us are gone. A time which is fast approaching, I fear.

The US Constitution? What is that? Just an old piece of paper that can be ignored by the courts and politicians as they wish.

Yet, here I sit, in front of my computer while online to the world. Hi NSA! ICU! Move along now, nothing to see here...

I'm glad I use Linux, but wonder for how long that offers any real safety?

Paranoid coder; Out.

Comment

I know of people that use only cash. They have a bank account with a piddling amount in it just so that they can cash their retirement and annuity checks and walk out with the cash in hand. They do everything by cash. They don't realize that it doesn't matter how they pay, or even if they keep receipts. When they check out the surveillance cameras record their presence, and the store's computers keep a copy of their receipt, time stamped. Match the time on the receipt with the face on the video at the same time, scan the database of facial images from DMV and other records, and identification is complete. There is literally no way to hide in today's society. Even "bugging out" and living somewhere in the wild leaves a trail that can be followed. Ask the Unibomber.

Comment

GG, we speak the same language. I wish there were more alternatives in society and business, but as you point out, our technology is also a "gilded cage".

Comment

Practically speaking, what are people doing? Is there a work around? Or do I need to migrate everything to google drive now.

Comment

Here's a BTRFS user trying to do something about it: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1066...ext4-isnt-ext4
                              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
                              X