Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Dell laptop Precision 7730, Intel built-in video. The problem is two-fold: #1 when I attach my external monitor, it uses a refresh rate not supported by the HDMI connection and there's no way to tell it what mode to use and SAVE it. #2 It doesn't handle docking gracefully (closing the lid with power supply and external monitor connected). It either turns off both monitors or neither. Both of which are dumb results. Granted these are hardware dependent issues, but isn't kscreen a tool that's supposed to help manage hardware? If not, what does it actually do? Nothing good that I've ever seen. Either I'm the only person who wants to use their laptop in multiple environments or kscreen doesn't work well enough to use.

The sad thing is, it's not hard at all to manage these options using ACPI (to detect what's going on) and xrandr (to turn monitors on and off). My usual course of action is to disable kscreen, set the monitor via xorg.conf, and then write a script to handle docking. But really? It's 2019. We should be able to do this automatically or with trivial configuration by now. Especially when you consider that more people are using laptops than desktops anymore. I've already started two threads here on these issues, but I'll solve them in my usual way.

I honestly don't understand what kscreen is supposed to be doing. Is it responsible for that new odd-looking pop-up "screen choice" settings thingy that comes up when I boot my laptop? There's absolutely no use for it if you are using a desktop PC. I really don't get why it's installed at all.

BTW, there's 396 OPEN bugs filed on it some dating back 4 years and there are numerous blogs and posts about kscreen's legendary inability to handle multiple monitors well. I haven't had time to read them all yet, but regardless I have to use my laptop now so I'll have to handle this now. The frustrating thing is how this plays to the Linux haters. Something as simple as behavior when closing the lid or being able to set a monitor resolution/rate cannot be done with the "tool" provided. I can understand why new Linux users can get turned off to KDE or Linux.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
    X