X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving beyond themes

I came across this link via Reddit:
    https://samuelhewitt.com/blog/2018-0...-beyond-themes

On the other hand, distribution vendors see a need to have unique identities and some decide to extend that to the look and feel of the desktop and apply themes.

But this practice raises questions about whether it is right or not for distributions to cut out or override the upstream platform vendor’s identity to favour their own. Should distributions that ship GNOME be asked to leave the default look and feel and experience intact? I think yes.
    If ending the wild west of visual customisation (which would probably end all of those projects of mine) on GNOME is necessary to grow the ecosystem, so be it.

I would rather see GNOME evolve as a platform and become a little less developer-hostile by dropping support for third-party themes, than stagnate. Doing so would also bring us in line with the how the major (successful) platforms maintain a consistent look and feel and consider app developers’ control over their apps and their rights to their brand identities.
    https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/07/yaru-ubuntu-theme Hmmm!
    Last edited by chimak111; Aug 09, 2018, 12:19 AM.
    Kubuntu 20.04

That's the GNOME "we know better" mentality.

They have been rather hostile to theming and customization for a while, this is just the latest expression of it. Theming gnome has been made progressively harder for a good while, and seemingly pointless API changes makes maintaining themes a real pain.

Comment

The Gnome development team is like Apple: "Do it our way, or leave." It's like they're trying to build a society run by people who exclusively make all the decisions and treat everyone else like they're too dumb to be in control of their own destiny. They are the opposite of what Linux is supposed to be about. Just a bunch of haters, elitists, and control freaks. You can have that crap. No reason for gnome to exist at all anymore as far as I can tell.

I've run into this attitude elsewhere, like PCLinuxOS on their forum a long time ago and some other distro I attempted to install a few months ago. The installer required you to use your entire hard drive - no other choice. When I got on IRC and asked the developers why, they pummeled me with bad attitude and snotty comments. I said "thanks for clearly that up" and promptly deleted the VM. Just another distro that will go nowhere fast. Frankly, I'm surprised PCLinuxOS is still around. Tex must have kicked out the trolls running his forum.

Please Read Me

Comment

Read an article this morning posted by System76 on how wonderful Gnome is. One comment was to the affect that Gnome offered more customization than other desktop environments.
        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
          Read an article this morning posted by System76 on how wonderful Gnome is. One comment was to the affect that Gnome offered more customization than other desktop environments.
          Wow, how far off could one be?

Please Read Me

Comment

I thought System76 developed their own distro now - "Pop" or something?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              I thought System76 developed their own distro now - "Pop" or something?
              Yes, POP!_OS. And it's based on... you guessed it, GNOME!

Comment

I finally found the link again. It was posted on System76's FB page.

Comment

Gnome is customizable by third party javascript extension, I think. You know, for things that give you basic functionality

https://extensions.gnome.org/#sort=downloads

Tho there are cool things in there, I am sure. I imagine/hope Ubuntu will make some of their own to polish Gnome like they did when they first started. Gnome 2x was an ugly turd in most cases before Ubuntu came around.

Comment

Working...
                  X