Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who checks for hardware compatibility? Not me...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who checks for hardware compatibility? Not me...

So I got this cheep bicycle GPS thingy, mainly because it has a large screen, is completely wireless, does not need sensors, and costs about the same or less than a decent "normal" cyclocomputer. I had no interest in the GPS part, really, as I am a Fat Dude on a Fixie Rotund Rigid Rider, and I sort of assumed that this device, or others like it, would be rather unusable on Linux.
    The computer actually is seen and mounted as a removable device, and uses the somewhat standard .fit file format, so......
    Enter a piece of useful f/oss software called GPXSee

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180710_180947.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	649343

Name:	bryton.jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	649346
    No, it was not 101 degrees, lol. I'd be dead I think

Name:	cockpit1.jpg
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	649344

Name:	bike1.jpg
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	649345

The new steed needs road bike drop "gravel" bars, eventually.

nice , looks like it worked out for you ,,,,,,,,or was that a workout for you , either way ,,,, nice

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Great find, Claydoh!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I've a long time wanted to ask riders of fixies, is it flat where you ride?

My bike has triple chain rings, including a very small one, giving lots of gears, and I dearly love just about all of them; I'm baffled at the idea of having only one.

Regards, John Little
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          I've a long time wanted to ask riders of fixies, is it flat where you ride?

My bike has triple chain rings, including a very small one, giving lots of gears, and I dearly love just about all of them; I'm baffled at the idea of having only one.

Regards, John Little
          It's definitely an urban thing.
          Savannah is as flat as a board so I built a single speed for the simplicity and general lightness. I never could ride in full fixed gear mode, being as large as I am. I need to be able to coast without pedaling.

Now my dream is to go 1x11, no front mech. My new ride is 1x8.

Mountain bikes have mostly moved to the 1x format, and drop-bar semi-off-road "gravel" bikes are starting to go that route. Since a so called 27 speed with a triple chain ring and 9 speed rear cassette really has only maybe a dozen usable gears due to redundancy and interference, ditching the extra gears up front is becoming popular. The freewheels on those go up to 50 teeth so they still have granny gears.

Of course 3x11 is possible.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
          Last edited by claydoh; Jul 11, 2018, 12:46 AM.

Comment

That you ride at all, good on you man! I've ridden 6,231.5 miles so far this year (November 1, 2017 through yesterday; our club year runs Nov 1 to Oct 31).

GPXSee is even available for Mac! Downloaded the .dmg file. I'll play with it and see how it compares to the data displayed by RidewithGPS and Strava. Open Source Software. Don't you just love it!?
            Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 11, 2018, 04:45 AM.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog, are you riding your bike 25 mi/day?
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

No, my 'average per ride distance' is 57 miles. I don't ride everyday (not THAT young anymore!). But, I have been averaging over 300 miles per week for several months now. My longest ride was 211 miles, which I rode nine days ago. Yesterday, I rode 105 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  No, my 'average per ride distance' is 57 miles. I don't ride everyday (not THAT young anymore!). But, I have been averaging over 300 miles per week for several months now. My longest ride was 211 miles, which I rode nine days ago. Yesterday, I rode 105 miles.
                  If you avg 10mph then between riding and KFN your day is pretty well used up!

57 mi is not small potatoes.
                  Trails or roads?

Comment

Mostly roads, but some trails (paved mostly). I have a high-end road bike (carbon), the only bike I have. Not interested in mountain biking (to much work!).

Comment

Do your state laws force you to ride WITH the flow of traffic? (I.e., you can't see cars coming toward you).
                      That is the way Nebraska is and I hate it. I've been forced off the road several times by drivers having a fun time. Riding on the shoulder against the traffic allows me to see the cars coming at me. When ever possible I road the sidewalk or took bike paths, of which we have a LOT in Lincoln.

Comment

That you ride at all, good on you man! I've ridden 6,231.5 miles so far this year (November 1, 2017 through yesterday; our club year runs Nov 1 to Oct 31).

GPXSee is even available for Mac! Downloaded the .dmg file. I'll play with it and see how it compares to the data displayed by RidewithGPS and Strava. Open Source Software. Don't you just love it!?
                        I basically pedal to work and shopping, etc. as I don't have a car, and I'm only 1.5 miles from work and supermarkets. I'd get more exercise and more readily lose weight if I walked everywhere, but the serious arthritis in my knees makes that quite painful. Cycling is not painful somehow.

I've only got 3 pounds left to lose to get to the 300lb mark that the knee surgeon wants before he'll even look at me for knee replacement(s)

I'll never be a good cyclist but I know I am much better than I was when I was thin and built myself a zippy Italian racer back in the 80s

Comment

https://www.minnesotasafetycouncil.o...les/mnlaws.cfm

Motorists are required by law to give bicyclists a minimum of three-feet clearance, even if that means they have to cross over a double-yellow line, when safe to do so. If not safe, they are supposed to slow and follow the bicyclists until they can pass safely. That said, not ALL motorists do so; there are A-Holes who think that THEY and ONLY THEY have a right to the road.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                            If you avg 10mph then between riding and KFN your day is pretty well used up!

57 mi is not small potatoes.
                            Trails or roads?
                            That is more like the average weekend group ride, tbh

Comment

... My longest ride was 211 miles...

... mountain biking (too much work!).

<reminisce>
                              IMO the very best cycling is in mountains.

The best time in my life was in the Dolomites in Italy, a 2000+ metre pass every day, sometimes 2, down to 400 m between them. (That's 6,500 and 1,300 feet.) Packing camping gear (tent, cooking, food...). The verticality there is amazing, because the rock is slightly soluble and the rivers have cut deep ravines.

You don't have to start super fit, just have a relaxed schedule and stop when you've had enough for the day. I once met a couple heading for the highest pass on the worst road; he was 85, she was 78. I took the easiest pass and met them again the next day on the other side of the divide. They were just finishing a leisurely meal cooked by the roadside.

Regards, John Little
                              Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                              X