This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MintBox mini 2 is out

...and the pro model with double RAM & storage is only $50 more. Appears to only have one slot for ram and 64/120GB M2. Pretty attractive for a quick HTPC or for anyone who doesn't need too much power and wants a turnkey product

http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/mintbox/mintbox-2/

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    Registered Linux User 545823

I've been eye-ballin' this one for my mother-in-law: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2GFAOFH7QLTX9

My "really helpful" sister-in-law bought Mom a new 'puter with Win10 on it and my 80 year-old mom-in-law hates it. That might be partly (or mostly ) because I put Kubuntu on Mom's old Dell a decade ago and it's been problem and worry free ever since.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      I've been eye-ballin' this one for my mother-in-law: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2GFAOFH7QLTX9

My "really helpful" sister-in-law bought Mom a new 'puter with Win10 on it and my 80 year-old mom-in-law hates it. That might be partly (or mostly ) because I put Kubuntu on Mom's old Dell a decade ago and it's been problem and worry free ever since.

One of those *might* work for linux, but these atom Z-* models can be are funky. sound is usually not supported --check the questions section!, Sound may still be doable, with some heavy investigation and wifi/bluetooth often needs a driver compile. At least that model won't have the oddball 32 bit efi

Might check out if there are any reasonable Chromeboxes around. Those often can easily run Linux after a firmware fix for legacy booting, or replacement for full efi support. These should be a bit beefier cpu-wise.

Comment

Got a Chromebox. Took a grip to get it free from screw-gull, but it's free now. Did my due-diligence on this little box and it's doable of late, and cheap as h-e-double-toothpicks. Mom does solitaire, a bit of email, and that's it, so low power low work it good for her.

Please Read Me

Comment

My mom got a Mac mini a few months ago; if I had known about the MintBox, I would have suggested it, and this model looks a lot better. The price isn't the cheapest, but 5% does go to the mint team

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
          Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

From the comment section on that mini

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(containing "linux"). See all 120 reviews
            2.0 out of 5 starsLosing faith in Amazon over cheap craps
            ByOlivia Darlingon June 29, 2018
            Size: 4+64GB / Windows 10 Pro / Z8350|Verified Purchase
            This item was sent to me and it had someone's password protected account on a Linux OS. They didn't even bother wiping it! There's nothing I can do with this so I'm returning it. Waste of time. I'm so disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 starsDon't buy 2GB/32GB
            ByHCAon June 7, 2018
            Size: 2+32GB / Windows 10 Pro / Z8350|Verified Purchase
            First of all, think twice and buy the 4GB of RAM with 64GB of storage.It is worth the extra money. In mine, Win10 take 23GB of the 32 available. So if you buy the 32GB version get one SD card because between OS and updates they will take almost the total amount of storage space.
            At first, CPU in100% because Win10 was updating. After disable updates and visual effects(dont think about install antivirus just use defender) and "clean" windows, the miniPC perform acceptable (CPU and Memory around 50% of use without any program running). Do not think of installing heavy software, it is most close to a TV box (roku alike) rather than a PC, at least thats my opionion from the 2GB/32GB version.Thinking about installing some linux distro.
            update: Freaking miniPC is garbage, yes garbage. It get restart alone, sometimes doesn't recognize the USB Keyboard or USB Mouse.. I have to do a Factory Restore and now Administrator account is disable and doesn't do anything. After writing to a forum (manufacture doesn't have webpage and everything is do through a forum. Now I have the administrator account lockdown and sometimes restart in recovery menu other in windows logon.
            Oshunluver, I think you dodged a bullet!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Why would you buy a "MintBox" and put Windows on it? And at $600+, a mid-level laptop makes much more sense. Heck, you can get an entry level System76 Meerkat for that.
              If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                From the comment section on that mini

Oshunluver, I think you dodged a bullet!
                https://esp8266hints.wordpress.com/2...uad-core-8350/

Actually, it's a matter of doing homework. It's doable and for $180 it's a no-brainer.

Please Read Me

Comment

This looks better:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D9FSGDD...a-e1a1378d6917

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                  X