This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experience of installing Artix Linux

Over the past 6 months or so I was using MX Linux on my system. For anyone who doesn't know MX Linux is based on Debian and is partnered with Antix Linux, it has Systemd installed but is not used as an init system, SysV is still the init system for MX Linux, systemd is just there for compatibility reasons. I had no issues with MX Linux, just like with Debian and other Debian based distro's it is a rock solid OS. After working with it for 6 months (maybe longer, I became bored with it as there was nothing to do with regards to maintenance of the OS.

This was when I decided to go back to Artix Linux because I wanted a rolling release distro and wanted to be able to maintain the OS. I had lost my original download of the disk so I downloaded the "latest" snapshot of Artix with LXQT, this was dated January 2018. Once downloaded the new disk image and had burned it to a disk, I then began to install this disto on my desktop PC. I encountered no issues with the installation of Artix Linux with LXQT, the problems I was having came when I wanted to update the packages.

After the installation was complete one of the first packages I installed was a Firefox. This was so that I can view the Artix home page and follow the instructions to update OpenRC. However, due to an issue with one of the installed packages I could not get Firefox to run. So in order to get at the information from the home page, I had to re-boot the PC to log in to Windows 7. Once I had got the information I required then rbooting back in to Artix Linux to carry out the commands.

Due to the time period since the iso was created I decided it would be a good idea to update the keys which worked fine, then decided to perform a full system update. This was when I discovered another issue, it appeared that the maintainer of LXQT had his key expired only a few weeks ago and as a result LXQT would not update, in fact due to that one expired key pacman would not allow any of the downloaded packages to update.

I thought that my only option was to replace LXQT with another XFCE as it's a desktop that I really love using. Once this was installed I then removed LXQT and began updating the entire system. Once the system was updated I then started to install other packages (apps) I wanted.

It took me longer than I had expected but I now have a fully updated Artix Linux OS running smoothly.

I am also happy to be rid of systemd.

Thank you for reading
    systemd is not for me. I am a retro Nintendo gamer. consoles I play on are, SNES; N64; GameCube and WII.
    Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Trinity R14.0.8 tk: Qt 3.5.0 info: kicker wm: Twin 3.0 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10

Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

I became bored with it as there was nothing to do with regards to maintenance of the OS.
    That's a common problem with a lot of the distros I've used, going back for many years. I used Kubuntu from 12.04 to 16.04 and Neon since it was first released. The only thing I do is run updates manually (no need to do it manually, just a habit), and take snapshots manually (again, no need to do it manually if I wanted to use snapshot).

What I mainly do with my laptop is to browse the web, play Minecraft and Universe Sandbox^2, and experiment with various distros by creating liveUSB sticks to test them. I stopped programming 10 years ago, so all of that stuff is archived.

In fact, I've just about decided that when this laptop dies I will not replace it, and will no longer be using Linux, after 20+ years of it being my primary OS.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      and will no longer be using Linux, after 20+ years of it being my primary OS.
      Gasp !!!!!!!!
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        I
        In fact, I've just about decided that when this laptop dies I will not replace it, and will no longer be using Linux, after 20+ years of it being my primary OS.
        I have the same thought. When my PC dies, I'm just going to scrap it and concentrate on playing games on my Nintendo consoles.
        systemd is not for me. I am a retro Nintendo gamer. consoles I play on are, SNES; N64; GameCube and WII.
        Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Trinity R14.0.8 tk: Qt 3.5.0 info: kicker wm: Twin 3.0 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10

Comment

Off topic NickStone but do you happen to be an Andy McNab fan?
          If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
            Off topic NickStone but do you happen to be an Andy McNab fan?
            Yes I do enjoy his books. I also like reading books from Chris Ryan; Lee Child; Vince Flynn and Stephen Leather.

Comment

Originally posted by greygeek View Post
              interesting! Thanks for sharing.

In fact, i've just about decided that when this laptop dies i will not replace it, and will no longer be using linux, after 20+ years of it being my primary os.
              say it ain't so !
              Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

I'm probably gonna scale back a bit and not do another build, my next computer will probably be from ZaReason. I'm pretty happy with Fedora+Cinnamon (why do I still hang around here?)
                Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                I have the same thought. When my PC dies, I'm just going to scrap it and concentrate on playing games on my Nintendo consoles.
                You can't play SuperTuxKart on a console

You're a Nintendo gamer too? 3DS was actually my first console, and I do have PS & xbone. Nintendo gets most of my though
                Last edited by jpenguin; Jul 05, 2018, 11:48 AM.
                Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
                  I'm probably gonna scale back a bit and not do another build, my next computer will probably be from ZaReason. I'm pretty happy with Fedora+Cinnamon (why do I still hang around here?)You can't play SuperTuxKart on a console

You're a Nintendo gamer too? 3DS was actually my first console, and I do have PS & xbone. Nintendo gets most of my though
                  True, you can't play SuperTuxKart on a console, but you can play Mario Kart. The original and best (in my opinion). I have four Nintendo consoles but have Mario Kart on only the Gamecube and WII. I've tried to buy the game for the SNES and N64 but the prices people are selling it on ebay I think is ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                  X