Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floorp (Firefox Fork)

https://floorp.app

I learnt about this fork of firefox the other day. Really impressed it with it, it has a lot of nice customisation, works with the plugins I was using with regular Firefox and has a feature of "workspaces" which is nice for compartmentalising tasks rather than having a massive load of cluttered tabs. Not that I'd be that disorganised Can do split screen with two web pages and there's a side bar to embed pages. One extra feature, which I thought might interest GregM is..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240525_125015.png
Views:	108
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	679770

I seem to remember a years long battle about this

It has a ppa or can be downloaded as a tar from their github the same way as firefox.

I logged in to ask about Floorp, as I've just recently heard about it. I also read some things about some sort of "war" between it and Midori.

Currently there are 5 browsers on my computer, and one of them is Midori.

The last thing I want is to have to find a new browser because one of them closed down or was shut down because of competitive warfare.

Another concern is the Firefox fork aspect of these browsers. I think one of them uses the ESR version? If so, that's not a plus for me.

So, does anyone know what the better 'investment' is? Floorp or Midori?

Comment

Floorp is also officially available as a Flatpak from its developers (flatpak install flathub one.ablaze.floorp) - of course one has to enable Flatpak first in *Ubuntu

OT:
      Joel64: If you are interested in web browsers, this site about (default) privacy settings could also be of interest for you: https://privacytests.org/
      Regarding default settings (and things one cannot change) I would say the worst web browsers for privacy are Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Opera and Vivaldi - no big surprises here…
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 27, 2024, 07:51 AM. Reason: typo, as usual
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Joel64 View Post
        I logged in to ask about Floorp, as I've just recently heard about it. I also read some things about some sort of "war" between it and Midori.

Currently there are 5 browsers on my computer, and one of them is Midori.

The last thing I want is to have to find a new browser because one of them closed down or was shut down because of competitive warfare.

Another concern is the Firefox fork aspect of these browsers. I think one of them uses the ESR version? If so, that's not a plus for me.

So, does anyone know what the better 'investment' is? Floorp or Midori?

I'd not heard anything about a "war" so I looked it up and it turns out some people have forked floorp and renamed it for a new version of Midori. I don't see why this should cause a war, would be odd if people were upset about a fork of a fork. Floorp (and thus Midori too I guess) is based on ESR.

Comment

Working...
        X