X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Kernel Security updates released

Date 5/26/18

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/ext_link.php?rid=256244
    Canonical Releases Major Kernel Updates for Ubuntu 17.10, 16.04 LTS & 14.04 LTS

"Canonical released new kernel security updates for all of its supported Ubuntu releases, including Ubuntu 17.10, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS to patch up to 13 security vulnerabilities."
    If you, like I, are still running earlier OS releases, it may pay to check your repository sources. I expect the kernel update will appear "real soon now".
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Humm on a
    vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ uname -a
    Linux vinny-Bonobo-Extreme 4.15.0-22-generic #24~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 18 09:46:31 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    @hear

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

VINNY;

My read of the Linux/Unix docs shows that "uname -a" will display your current system information and not any pending updates.

Based the article linked in my first post, I expect a new set of kernel updates, with security changes, to be made available in most distro repositories in the near future. It has not yet shown up in my set of repositories. So I check each day. Sometimes, it happens when I'm offline and I'll then get an advisory the next time I go online that "updates are available".

With my OS, Linux Mint, most kernel updates DON"T get posted to the Linux Mint repository UNLESS it is security related, and then they get posted within a day or two, sometimes sooner if the security issue is serious.

Your distro may have a different policy about which kernel updates appear in the repository.

So I figure it pays to check with my update manager on a daily basis.
      Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
        VINNY;

My read of the Linux/Unix docs shows that "uname -a" will display your current system information and not any pending updates.
        correct , I was using it show I was already on a higher kernel version than whats listed in the article you spoke of

Based the article linked in my first post, I expect a new set of kernel updates, with security changes, to be made available in most distro repositories in the near future.
        I got the impression that they have already been released by Canonical (Ububtu/Kubuntu/*buntu)

Canonical now released new kernel versions for Ubuntu 17.10 (Artful Aardvark), Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus), and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Trusty Tahr) operating system series and their official derivatives.
        All users are urged to update their systems as soon possible to linux-image-4.13.0-43.48 on Ubuntu 17.10, linux-image-4.4.0-127.153 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, linux-image-3.13.0-149.199 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, linux-image-4.13.0-43.48~16.04.1 on Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS,
        As expected, Canonical released HWE (Hardware Enablement) kernels for Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS (Xenial Xerus) systems from Ubuntu 17.10 (Artful Aardvark), and for Ubuntu 12.04 ESM (Precise Pangolin) from Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Trusty Tahr)
        I would think that an even newer Kernel version ( 4.15.0-22-generic) than whats listed on that page (and is also a HWE kernel )would contain the fixes.

But that is just my assumption and I very well could be wrong , (but I think not)(but maybe)

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

Vinny, sorry, I did not get that you're on the next version, 16.04.4. I wonder if the "security update" for 16.04.4 includes the same fixes as 16.04.1?

You appear to have updated before these fixes were announced.

It is hard to track some of the...

Comment

Vinny, sorry, I did not get that you're on the next version, 16.04.4. I wonder if the "security update" for 16.04.4 includes the same fixes as 16.04.1?

You appear to have updated before these fixes were announced.

It is hard to track some of the...
            Indeed. I'm currently running 4.13.0-43-generic #48~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP but it is not listed in any of the "fixes" for 16.04.4, which is where Neon is at.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yet I also have 4.15.0-22 on my Neon-dev-stable/Kubuntu hybrid, and it just got updated from the previous version (4.15.0-20).

Comment

he he ,,,,my 16.04 Neon-/dev/stable that was Kubuntu-16.04 before adding the the Neon development stable branches repo has the "linux-image-generic-hwe-16.04-edge" package installed , that gives me the newest release kernel which is from Bionic .

Code:
                vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ uname -a
                Linux vinny-Bonobo-Extreme 4.15.0-22-generic #24-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 16 12:15:17 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ lsb_release -a
                No LSB modules are available.
                Distributor ID: Ubuntu
                Description:    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
                Release:        18.04
                Codename:       bionic
                I am in the Bionic install at the moment as you can see.

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Seems it depends on which repository you use as to when you will get kernel updates...

The important point is that the security updates DO come down the pipe in a timely manner.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                    Humm on a @hear

VINNY
                    I will assume you are using the hwe-edge kernel in 16.04, ie Bionic's, which is not what most 16.04 folks are running (yet)

oops - delayed response on my end, missed a few posts

Comment

Seems it depends on which repository you use as to when you will get kernel updates...

The important point is that the security updates DO come down the pipe in a timely manner.
                      every one that has posted hear IS running the updated kernel from your post , the difference is just the kernel version .

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                        I will assume you are using the hwe-edge kernel in 16.04, ie Bionic's, which is not what most 16.04 folks are running (yet)
                        tisk tisk you did not read the hole post ,,,,I specified that in post#8

VINNY

Aaa you edited your post wile I was typing
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                          every one that has posted hear IS running the updated kernel from your post , the difference is just the kernel version .

VINNY
                          Then all is good...

Comment

Then all is good...
                            ,,and let me say thank you for sharing what you found on the issue ,,,re reading my posts hear it dose seam like I was being snipity , it was not my intent , my apology ,it's just my short responses that make it seam that way .

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

VINNY; No offense received and we're good here. Keep on being who you are!

Comment

Working...
                              X