No announcement yet.

Originate Overviews of Oracular Oriole Kubuntu 24.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Australia there have been many viruses circulating simultaneously such as Flu, COVID and RSV. I understand that this is happening in other countries and it wouldn't surprise me if the delays are caused by some developers being infected and not able to contribute as they would like to do. If this is the case, I wish all those unwell, the very best for a good recovery,

Comment

It is now just 3 Months before the Release of Oracular Oriole 24.10.

While this past month has had many updates, the basic Info Centre Versions are unchanged. So this would have to be one of the easiest progress updates I have ever done.

I decided to copy a small quantity of type of updates that have been happening and this is illustrated below.

Unpacking libmbim-proxy (1.31.2-0ubuntu4) over (1.31.2-0ubuntu3) ...
      Preparing to unpack .../06-libmbim-glib4_1.31.2-0ubuntu4_amd64.deb ...
      Unpacking libmbim-glib4:amd64 (1.31.2-0ubuntu4) over (1.31.2-0ubuntu3) ...
      Preparing to unpack .../07-libmbim-utils_1.31.2-0ubuntu4_amd64.deb ...
      Unpacking libmbim-utils (1.31.2-0ubuntu4) over (1.31.2-0ubuntu3) ...
      Preparing to unpack .../08-network-manager_1.48.4-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...
      Unpacking network-manager (1.48.4-1ubuntu1) over (1.48.2-1ubuntu1) ...
      Preparing to unpack .../09-libnm0_1.48.4-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...
      Unpacking libnm0:amd64 (1.48.4-1ubuntu1) over (1.48.2-1ubuntu1) ...
      Preparing to unpack .../10-libqt6core6t64_6.6.2+dfsg-9_amd64.deb ...
      Unpacking libqt6core6t64:amd64 (6.6.2+dfsg-9) over (6.6.2+dfsg-8) ...​
      I can only hope that all the updates are getting ready for a big one. So it is a case of wait and see.
      ​​

Comment

I have now managed to install KDE Plasma 6.1.4, Frameworks 6.4.0, QT Version 6.6.2 using my proposed ppa's

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	18 Size:	161.1 KB ID:	681714

Code:
        sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-plasma
        sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-frameworks
        This system now reboots for me as it previously didn't. I look forward to further developments for Kubuntu. The most annoying feature for me at the moment is that the System Settings do not work and I find the desktop features rather awkward.

I found out why System Settings did not work because somehow the name given to it had a 5 at the end? After getting System Settings to work and sorting out all my "Sacrificial Laptop" settings, Plasma 6.1.4 flies and I am very happy with it.

Congratulations to the developers on a job well done!!!!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by NoWorries; Aug 09, 2024, 05:04 PM.

Comment

According to Phoronix, Canonical has changed how they decide on which kernel to ship.
          The latest available kernel at the freeze on 20th September (even if it's still just a release candidate) will be included in 24.10.

Comment

Originally posted by WonkoTheSaneUK View Post
            According to Phoronix, Canonical has changed how they decide on which kernel to ship.
            The latest available kernel at the freeze on 20th September (even if it's still just a release candidate) will be included in 24.10.
            That should mean that LTS will bump to these fresher kernels as well.

I actually suspect this may be better than the current scheme of taking patches from the newer kernels and applying them to the older ones. I think this might reduce the amount of breakages when they have security and other kernel updates.

Comment

It is now just 2 Months before the Release of Oracular Oriole 24.10.

There have been many updates which consolidate the versions of current packages that I have installed, eg ubuntu4 to ubuntu5.

Now for the current Info Centre listing since last months release.

3 Months To Go 2 Months To Go
              KDE Plasma Version 5.27.11 5.27.11
              KDE Frameworks Version 5.116 5.116
              QT Version 5.15.13 5.15.13
              Application Version 4:23.08.5 4:23.08.5
              Kernel Version 6.8.0-31-generic 6.8.0-31-generic

As you can see, Oracular has not changed in the Versions listed last month. Because of this, I decided to try the proposed plasma and frameworks ppas on my “Sacrificial Desktop” which is an ASUS R501VM Core i7 3610QM that I purchase in December 2012. Using the proposed ppas is definitely not approved by some of those on this forum. Anyhow, as shown in my post #18 above, I have listed below the version differences with the proposed ppa and the current system.

2 Months To Go Proposed ppas for Plasma & Frameworks
              KDE Plasma Version 5.27.11 6.1.4
              KDE Frameworks Version 5.116 6.4.0
              QT Version 5.15.13 6.6.2
              Application Version 4:23.08.5 4:23.08.5
              Kernel Version 6.8.0-31-generic 6.8.0-31-generic

On Wayland, Glmark2 was about 2750 which is close to 3.5 times faster than on x11. So considering the age of my Laptop, I am very satisfied with this performance.

I just hope that the developers are able to get the proposed changes into this 24.10 System before its release.

Comment

Working...
              X