This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An extensive discussion about listing the installed apps

this is a very long discussion and brings up "listing all" apps and "listing expressly install by the user" apps, providing a printout etc.
    there is also discussion of using the package manger to make a listing and also how to "move it" to a "new computer". HOWEVER it implies the use of "an Ubuntu account".

This is a situation which has been brought up multiple times in many fora and since most of the stuff has to be done CLI then it gets into whether one has "aptitude" etc.

There is also a lot of discussion of "unmet dependencies" and "dependencies" which are not listed by various methods.

There is also discussion of various kind of "cloning" apps.

One of the problems with "cloning" is that, it is MY PERCEPTION, that a lot of people want to get new metal and also want to get the latest release of a distro so cloning won't work very well if one has a really OLD install, such as the old woodsmoker's. I have both brand new Neon but don't do much "work" on it and also a really OLD install on which I do my work.

So...

but, for folks who are going to move to a new physical device it is of interest.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1782...alled-packages

woodstillhasacdcloneofmy#!installfromdecadesagoand itstillworks!:0smoke

I followed the link and amidst all the entries saw a plug for Aptik, which I've downloaded as I intend to re-install Neon once it migrates to 18.04 and would like to avoid a lot of manual installing. Has anyone else used this program? Looks pretty good.

Comment

Hi
      I was thinking PARTICULARLY the same thing!!

It just goes to show that almost everybody here is much smarter than the old woodsmoker and you are one of the bestest!

So... I will second the OldGeek's question.

Anyone here with experience with the app?

woodlikesoldgeeksmoke

Comment

A weird thing happened--I can't find Aptik anywhere except in the two package managers (Synaptic and Muon). So it must be there, but where? How can I open it if I don't where it is?

Comment

LOL
          Welll...here is the horse's mouth as it were and I can't get to install either! :0

http://www.teejeetech.in/p/aptik.html

hmmmm

The same kind of thing happened with another cloning app a few years ago.

Here is the PPA back page

https://launchpad.net/apt-toolkit

hmmm
          woodsmoke
          Last edited by woodsmoke; May 16, 2018, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Type the name of the program in the Headsup display?
            If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

That didn't work.

Comment

Working...
              X