X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The mathematical case for prepping

https://medium.com/s/story/the-surpr...r-15fce7d10437

He points out that prepping isn't just a thing with what the Left calls the Alt-Right. Even the Alt-Left is doing it!

At 76 I'm just two years away from the median life span, and too old to survive long in a survival environment. So, if the SHTF within two years or so I'll just watch it go by from my patio.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; May 07, 2018, 07:00 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

On your front porch, sitting in your rocking chair with the double-barrel shotgun across your lap no doubt!
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      On your front porch, sitting in your rocking chair with the double-barrel shotgun across your lap no doubt!
      ROF, LLLL!

Nope, don't own a double-barrel nor an AR-15. And, I have no plans to shoot anyone, unless they shoot first. As a life long shooter am fairly good. So they better not miss their first shot because they won't get a second... if I can see them.
      Last edited by GreyGeek; May 07, 2018, 06:59 PM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

That was an exceptional, common sense article. I especially concur with the part describing (mainly) politicians who want to take away our ability to protect ourselves yet building bunkers for themselves.
        -=Ken=-
        "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
        DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Well, the simple fact of the matter is that there are volcanic eruptions there are earthquakes, etc.

WHEN the U.S. gets another earthquake the size of the New Madrid quake, those who have not done SOME SMALL THINGS...at least are going to be in a very quick world of hurt and it has nothing to do with political outlook

This whole thing about mocking the "preppers" goes WAAAYYY BACK to a short story about a family that built a "bomb shelter' in the house and people standing outside wanting to get in. That was then popularized by a NIght Gallery episode and it was a real driver of moving the debate from when Kennedy WANTED bomb shelters to that bombshelters...weren't FAIR...

have we heard this lately?

not fair?

As if it is not good to have AT LEAST some people survive a catastrophy...

And just which camp is that at least "goes along" with putting people on Mars because "those evil OTHER people" are destroying the Earth...

So...prepping...bomb shelter... go to Mars...it is merely a matter of scale and entirely "what I do is good" and what "those stupid people over there do" is bad.

woodsmoke

Comment

I remember that Night Gallery episode! (Or was it the TwilightZone? That I can’t remember)

Even with the reduction in warheads from 30,000+ to 5,000+ nukes, and certainly with Putin claiming he’s now got 100 MT warheads, the chances of any life except microorganisms and cockroaches surviving that many Chernobyl or Fukushima target sites leaking high levels of radiation for the next several thousand years is zero.

Comment

Thanks GG! I read it all -- very interesting analysis, for sure.

But, when I "look at the horizon" today, and I reflect back on what I was seeing during 1968-1972, I still think it felt more scary back then. The looney left and looney right have better communications technology today, so maybe they're being heard more often by more people. But they were looney as hell back in the day, too. Remember the Students for Democratic Society and the Weather Underground? Remember cities on fire? Hopefully none of us will live to see that stuff again. It's bad enough when foreign fanatics want to kill us ...

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
                Thanks GG! I read it all -- very interesting analysis, for sure.

But, when I "look at the horizon" today, and I reflect back on what I was seeing during 1968-1972, I still think it felt more scary back then. The looney left and looney right have better communications technology today, so maybe they're being heard more often by more people. But they were looney as hell back in the day, too. Remember the Students for Democratic Society and the Weather Underground? Remember cities on fire? Hopefully none of us will live to see that stuff again. It's bad enough when foreign fanatics want to kill us ...
                I vividly remember all of that, and, the Cuban Missile Crisis, the only time the US has been at Defcon 2.
                My future wife and I were going to be married a month later and we didn't really know if our wedding would ever take place. It was scary.
                http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the...-war-iii-22124
                The Russian officer who over rode the vote to launch a nuclear missile was the captain of K-19, who had suffered radiation sickness. He understood what a nuclear war would lead to.
                Chief of Staff Vasili Arkhipov, who had earlier distinguished himself as the executive officer of the nuclear submarine K-19, which narrowly averted a nuclear meltdown. Arkhipov was badly irradiated during the incident but recovered to live until 1998—unlike many of the K-19’s crew.
                That's why I don't worry about prepping. If nukes started popping off there would be no place to run and hide from the radiation, even if you survived the blast.

Comment

dlbl is a perspicacious man.

woody

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                    dlbl is a perspicacious man.
                    Your check is in the mail, Woody. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                    X