Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll - (when) will you install Kubuntu 24.04 LTS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been running opensuse tw and on another machine opensuse leap for best part of a year and not had any problems on either. I don't know whether I have a "production system" though

Comment

That is what I call a system one uses e.g. between 9:00 and 18.00, Monday to Friday, to earn one's livelihood or that is used in an industrial setting.
      I don't know if it is the right English term for this, sorry.

PS: openSUSE Leap I would use for such a purpose, like Kubuntu LTS or Debian stable.
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 10, 2024, 08:11 AM. Reason: added PS
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
        a "production system"
        Basically, a PC you use and depend on, as opposed to a PC you just tinker with.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Am I correct in thinking that the recent liblzma compromise indicates a weakness in the rolling release approach? Those on supported *buntu releases were not affected.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Absolutely! One of many reasons I would nearly never ever use a rolling release on a server…

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
              Am I correct in thinking that the recent liblzma compromise indicates a weakness in the rolling release approach? Those on supported *buntu releases were not affected.
              No, not really. At least not this one.
              This thing was discovered almost by accident, so if it had been missed, it would be everywhere, even Debian.
              But apparently this backdoor doesn't affect Arch
              https://archlinux.org/news/the-xz-pa...en-backdoored/
              https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=294429

As I take it, the tarball was compromised, not the source git repository, and Arch (and Nix, Gentoo, and others) pull it directly from there. The malware is apparently only built from that tarball when using cmake (which isn't used for this on Arch), and only when building rpm/deb packages.

Comment

OT: Why would it be in Debian stable? Debian testing/unstable/experimental OK, but stable?

Officially the others are not meant for the "normal" user or "normal" usage at all AFAIK.
                And at least unstable and experimental are rolling releases (and testing, too), or am I wrong?
                Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 10, 2024, 04:46 PM. Reason: typos et al.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                  Why would it be in Debian stable? Debian testing/unstable/experimental OK, but stable?
                  Well, eventually it would, if the malware hadn't been noticed.

Comment

OT: Fair enough, but so could be any other malware etc. in any other Linux distribution or other OS with a fixed release cycle…

Comment

Working...
                    X