This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insight Mars Lander launched this morning

I normally get up around the crack of noon!
    This morning I turned on my Roku TV to watch the live launch of the Mars Lander Insight.

The United Launch Alliance launched it, making it the 108th straight successful launching of a satellite by the Atlas V, which uses the Russian RD-180 engine on its first stage. The ULA is being forced to look at other sources or build its own 1st stage engine. It is talking to Amazon.

Two years ago, the ULA was charging 100% more to launch 14% less than SpaceX. For Air Force launches the ULA costs between 2016 and 2022 average to $344M per launch. SpaceX costs for launching similar payloads is $65-$90 per launch. But, HEY!, it's taxpayer's money so who's counting?

While watching the launch team in action it was like watching Huston's Launch Control Center a couple decades ago. Most were middle-aged or old men in suits and ties setting at the consoles. At SpaceX it looks like kids in clothing from Gap are manning the consoles. At the ULA there was no noise from the center during the launch events. It was as if the team didn't care. At SpaceX there is applause and cheering at every event. ("MECO! Yea!!!!!! cheering, clap, clap, clap). At ULA's control center they went through the perfunctory call out for every part of the launch mission: range safety? go, launch safety? go, guidance? go, .... On and on they droned, three minutes before launch. Surrounded by millions of dollars of computing power and they are still doing launches manually? As the ULA rocket rides into the sky the folks watching on their TV or computer have no clue as to the velocity or altitude of the rocket. Suddenly, as if someone remembered and just around MECO, the altitude, velocity and azimuth are displayed, and a time line appears across the top of our TV's or displays. The velocity of the rocket SLOWLY climbs to 15,000 mph (required velocity for orbit is 17,000mph) and suddenly the velocity and altitude are replaced with apogee and perigee positions, showing that the rocket is entering an orbit with an apogee of 110 miles and a perigee of 90 miles. The perigee rises and the apogee drops until both are at 90 miles. Probably a mission design parameter -- high enough to allow coasting without significant drag in the short term, but low enough to save fuel for the climb out once the appropriate position for insertion into the Mars transfer orbit is reached.

At the SpaceX control center during a bunch of excited kids are watching their monitors while computers run the launch. At T minus 1 minute control of the launch vehicle is given to the computers on board the rocket. At that moment two small windows appear on the observer's display. The upper left corner shows time, velocity, altitude and azimuth. On the left side (or on a bar across the top) is the mission timeline, showing when each event takes place and where the rocket is at the present time. At no time, in my recollection, has SpaceX ever displayed perigee and apogee readings of an orbit. MECO is usually right on 27,385 kph (17,500mph), or there abouts, depending on the desired altitude.

After a successful launch the men in the ULA crew take out cigars and cloud the air, shaking each other's hand, except for women, most of whom get a hug. A SpaceX everybody gets a hug. Even after 24 straight successful landings of first stages, including that spectacular double landing of the Falcon Heavy Rocket first stages, they are still excited.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    The United Launch Alliance launched it, making it the 108th straight successful launching of a satellite by the Atlas V, which uses the Russian RD-180 engine on its first stage. The ULA is being forced to look at other sources or build its own 1st stage engine. It is talking to Amazon.
    Amazon? AMAZON? I would have thought to use DHL or UPS before Amazon was given a consideration... Said only partly in jest.

Ah well, competition makes the world go round and that is a good thing. I'm sure that the Martians (present or future) will appreciate being able to direct order widgets from China.

But, Amazon?
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

The Misfit

The GLORIOUS... Misfit"

"No...you were NEVER a misfit."

"Yeah... I was...always have been..."

The O2 pressure gauge is dropping...better start the emergency supply...

"The rocket is on it's way...if you hadn't gone off and launched on your own we could have had a backup sooner..."...her voice was sad...

"AND THEN YOU TRIED TO DEAD STICK THE THING DOWN BACKWARDS!!! ...aarrrhhhhh' "Her voice was mad.

"It's ok...somebody had to get people off their dead rear ends...somebody had to do it. what was the line from the film...somebody... ... ..."

"I'm sorry, but the air is giving out...gotta go to backup..."

"Yeah but not YOU !!!! you old fart... you COULD have waited just a LITTLE longer..."

"Yeah but..."

"I know...WHO would have known about your genetic anomoly...nobody...no...body..."

"Yeah, just one of those things...as they say...stuff happens...'...He shifted himself against what seemed to be some kind of pumice... the sky was...black...no air in in the air...haa haa...no air in the air...ha...dunno..."

"Are you there?"

"Yeah, I'm here..."

"The rocket IS ON IT'S WAY!!...

"Yeah I know."... the pumice actually made a kind of cushion on the back of his pressure suit...

"So...what's goin' on?"

"Well, sitting here and looking back at her... a poem came to mind."

"And...?"

"the Green Hills of Earth..."...

"...ummm..."...

"I don't see any green hills...I see the blue of the sea..."out of these...out of seas...past the Hebrides...the Star Captains go..."

"You ARE... a true Star Captain!"

"Awww..."

He settled his back into the pumice...

'no...no green hills of earth...only green...and white...and blu...'

"Aww...w...w...w..."

"GG!!!?

GG!!

GG!!

GG!!! ARE YOU THERE!!??

GG!!??

EARTH CALLING GG!!!?!!

EARTH CALLING GG!!!

EARTH CALLING GG!!!

EARTH CALLING...

EARTH...calllling...

Earth...callling...
      Last edited by woodsmoke; May 06, 2018, 12:36 AM.

Comment

GG: *the reports of my demise are premature*
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X