X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Napoleonic history.... if u are not into it do not click

OMG...

I was a developer of board games twenty years ago and was waaaayyyyy into "Napoleonic history" in terms of the "battles"...

DID YOU KNOW...that the whole thing about "the Charge of the Light Brigade"...British and RUSSIAN... lead to ...the development of "the thermometer"?

FASCINATING STUFF...

anyway... another post here at the forum lead me to find this JEWEL...about the "Old Groaners"...the "French Imperial Guard"...

the SUB stories about palace intrigues and just plain out and out HEROISM...are fascinating...

I had not seen this before and it is FASCINATING...

I just LOVE the "whole thing" about 'Napoleon's imperial Guard"...

Men...who...grokked...it...

Men...who...respected Napoleon...hate him if you want but RESPECT THE MEN...

Shuttleworth...

Gates...

dunno...

Linux gurus...

should have this much...LOVE... sent their way...

And it IS a KIND OF LOVE...to throw yourself into a maelstrom from which you will not probably leave...

OOOOOOOHHHH...NOOOOO "WE" in our elite intelligentsia...

those poor fools...throwing away their lives...

Georges Blond: "Once again, theY climb up the slope of Mont Saint-Jean but this time, it is the Guard who lead.

The British guns boomed, the shots cut swathes through the battalions, but the BEARSKINS...still moved forward. ...

Five minutes later, half the first wave of attackers had fallen.

Momentum was lost. ... Wellington saw, wonderful sight, Napoleon's Guard in difficulty ! ...

Reille had just started to move his troops of I Corps to open an attack on the British right.

These men suddenly saw before them, coming down the valley which they were preparing to climb,

a mass of BEARSKINS ... Cries of 'All is Lost !' The Guard is defeated ! were heard.

The soldiers even claimed that in many places, ill-disposed agents shouted 'Every man for himself!"
    Only the 1st Grenadiers and 1st Chasseurs were filled with men with 12 years' service and with the memebers of the faithful Elba Battalion. They were the oldest of the old, the sine pari (without equal). Almost 30 % of the I/1er Grenadiers were veterans of 20-25 campaigns, one third was awarded for bravery and averaged 35-years of age.
    THEY...were "the OLD GROANERS"...

LINUX USED TO BE FILLED WITH THE RANKS ...

of the "OLD GROANERS"...

NOW..."Linux is filled with the YOUNG WHINERS"...

oooohhh let us not OFFEEND...

oooohh ooohhh ooohhh WHERE is my "safe space"...??

sadly...no more...
    THOSE with UNITED STATES... elite intellegence...would rather sip my whine and chomp my Brie

because...those stoopid people let me do it... stoopid people...

http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napole...t_Waterloo.htm

Wood...was anyone here at GenCon in the early seventies? smoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; May 03, 2018, 12:00 AM.

Point of order, the charge of the light brigade was in the Crimean War not the Napoleonic. That said, when Napoleon's invasion of Russia failed, lots of his soldier's froze to death in the Russian winter. If they had thermometers, they would have said "tres bloody cold".

Also, this was filmed in the USSR with the Soviet army as the extras https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oLflPilcMc

Comment

To Woody's point ... many of us on this forum are "old groaners", while a lot of newbs aren't so much "new whiners" as they are "WinX refugees" who carry with them to Linux the attitudes prevalent in the Microsoft flora and fauna: the expectation that since they paid for Windows they expected much more than they actually got, which led them to Linux and here.

They've never been introduced to the "Cathedral and the Bazaar" dichotomy. They are not familiar with the "to a thousand eyes all bugs are shallow". And, they've never considered that while Microsoft released beta software, making them folks who paid to test beta software, the Linux paradigm is "download early and often". IOW, Linux users are also beta testers, but didn't have to pay for the privilege and in return got handsomely rewarded with great free software, (and some, like me, have no problem running & testing alpha software either) who download new releases of distros and/or software specifically to test them for bugs and report what they find to bugzilla sites, not some forum like KFN.

Patience and gentle teaching is prime. We were all newbs at one point.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
        Point of order, the charge of the light brigade was in the Crimean War not the Napoleonic. [/url]
        nit picking!! well...LARGE nits! lol

but nits... picking...nitty pickying

woodOKnitssmoke lol

Comment

"Groan"...
          Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            Patience and gentle teaching is prime. We were all newbs at one point.
            Wise words. I would go further, I am, in many ways, still a newb, and likely to remain so.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
              Wise words. I would go further, I am, in many ways, still a newb, and likely to remain so.
              Indeed. The older I get the more newbie I become, as memories fade. That's why I prefer the GUI for as many apps as I can.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X