This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unacceptable

My only Apple product is a three year old iPhone 6+.
    It's been working great .... until the 11.3 iOS came down the pipes. Before that, my phone's charge would last about 8 hours. After it was installed my phone needs a recharge in less than 5 hours. The percentage of remaining battery life is supposedly 79%, so I'm losing about 1/5th of my original battery capacity. It should stay up for about 6.5 hours.

About 10 minutes ago I noticed that the 11.3.1 iOS update was available. I clicked the update button. It's been setting on "Downloading" every since and the battery charge has dropped from 94% to 84%, and that's on a 300Mbps fiber optic connection that tests on the iPhone at 150Mbps.

Anyway, this guy bought a brand new Apple workstation and accidentally broke the display. Apple refused to fix it.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

My first home computer was an Apple II knock off. It was so close to an Apple II they got sued and Apple won.
    I became familiar with Apple's "attitudes" then and have never had anything Apple since.
    Greg
    W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
      My first home computer was an Apple II knock off. It was so close to an Apple II they got sued and Apple won.
      I became familiar with Apple's "attitudes" then and have never had anything Apple since.
      That was called the Franklin. I used to sell them.
      My first computer was an Apple ][+, serial #1276, IIRC. Great machine. Loved it. The 6502 could do 1M instructions per second.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Yes it was.
        I learned my first "basic" programing on it.
        Then the first IBM PC came out and I got one and was in heaven.
        I wrote my first program to do Trig for me.
        Connected it to a surplus chain drive printer that could save programs from my machine tools on paper tape.
        Glory days
        Greg
        W9WD

Comment

In Apple's defense that guy took his monitor off for a review and proceeded to drop it. The warranty for the iMac only covers the replacement of the monitor when attached to the rest of the all-in-one system. It stinks, but sometimes so does life.

I do feel for you GreyGeek, I believe Apple intentionally degrades older hardware in hopes you purchase the latest and greatest. I have always hated that type of business model. It reminds me of Microsoft and Intel in the late 90s and early 00s by adding bloat to the OS in an attempt to make you upgrade your hardware.

I grew up on the Apple II and later the original Mac because my mother was a teacher and she had access to those devices through work. Other than being an administrator for a Mac lab in college I didn't use their products until about two years ago. The wife was looking for a replacement to an old Dell and had some unusual stipulations/requirements (she did not like Windows 8/10 and needed to record videos for her job [college professor]). At the time the best choice was to buy a top of the line Macbook Pro. Since I am the household IT staff, I purchased a Mac Mini to stay on top of learning macOS. Since then I have been assimilated by Apple. The biggest reason (outside of my wife) was my duties at work changed to being the "Apple Guy" (I work in IT for a school district). Since then I have purchased an Airport Extreme (which I totally LOVE!), an AppleTV, a second Mac Mini to learn their server software, an iPad Pro, and an iPhone SE. All these devices allow me to immerse myself in the technology I have to support a work and home. Overall I enjoy these devices for their designated purpose.

That being said, I will and WOULD be pissed when Apple decides my SE is too old for their OS.
          Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
          tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

What does an Apple IT guy have to do? [snark]Everyone knows Apple products "just work, right out of the box." and you can't do upgrades.[/snark]
            If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
              What does an Apple IT guy have to do? [snark]Everyone knows Apple products "just work, right out of the box." and you can't do upgrades.[/snark]

Seriously though, our environment was in bad shape (think wild west style, no control, no consistency, etc.). I have had to test MDMs, configure and setup the one I did choose, wipe and enroll all devices, evaluate apps, and had the opportunity to watch everyone else in the district hand me iPads while saying "These don't work and aren't you the apple guy?". Basically I had to re-event the wheel on how our district utilizes Apple devices.

Mind you, I am not complaining and I totally enjoyed the snarkiness of your barb. I am a weird guy though...lol.
              tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Originally posted by benny_fletch View Post

Mind you, I am not complaining and I totally enjoyed the snarkiness of your barb. I am a weird guy though...lol.
                Actually sounds pretty cool, working for schools and running your own show. Cheers!
                If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

The biggest complaint I have against the iPhone, besides being over priced, is that one can’t simply go to a battery store , buy a replacement battery and replace it yourself. Having to pay $128 and be without your phone for 5 days is ridiculous.

Android used to allow that but not any longer. Besides, it’s too infection prone.

Comment

I know the wait for a battery replacement for the 6+ is growing, but current battery replacement costs are only $29 (due to the whole battery slowdown debacle). I see the argument both ways (unfortunately). I agree with your logic about replacing a battery on your own (for a reasonable price and time), but some (most... if you are talking about the average smart phone user) do not want the complexity of replacing the battery (I'll pay more for a new device so I don't have to spend time and effort to figure it out). It is sad, but true!

Just FYI, the price I put on my off-time is considerably more (putting it lightly) than what I get paid at work (1:1).

Comment

And, the older you get the more precious time is, but patience becomes a virtue because what you can do diminishes in proportion to your decline in physical and mental abilities. However, replacing a battery hardly taxes either ability, and I’m 76 with tremors.
                      I know this- because of Apple’s policies, if not their greed, my next smartphone won’t be an Apple.

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
                        Yep, I disagree with their philosophy as well. I am never purchasing an apple product.

Sent from my LG-V530 using Tapatalk
                        You can get me Using Threema: B6WSCFVY
                        Mastodon: @pookito@latinos.social
                        Jabber: pookito@neko.im

Comment

And that is the great thing about choice, we are free to pick what works best for us.

Comment

How long has the bad battery life been present? I wonder if it something similar to what happens after a Android update. At least it has happened to my devices. My LG V30 (released in October) recently updated to Oreo, and for about 3 or so days, battery life dropped massively - from using half the battery after a typical 16-18 hours, to the teens after the same period between charges. After that, it quickly went back up, and is actually slightly better than it was in Nougat. I saw many reports of the same in various V30 related forum and redditt threads. I was not worried about it, other than the large drop as it has happened before, especially when I used third party roms on previous phones. It is a known thing to wait a few days' use before deciding if one rom has better battery life over another.

Not saying Apple isn't doing things that slow things down for whatever reason, just wondering if it is similar. I think you can look at any Android device that got a major OS upgrade, and see people complaining about lower battery life.

Comment

Even though he had walked in the mainframe as in MAIN ...FRAME... computer that was the size of a building...he really DID...start out with all good intentions and wanting to help humanity...

that was the genesis of building the computer in the garage...he had WALKED...INSIDE a MONSTER...metal...with big bulbs and crts and stuff...

but...now...

no...just like with FB...all about the money...just like Twitter all about the money...

you are just a "monetary unit" to him/them/corporate and SCRE@ YOU...

you are not even "collateral damage" anymore...you are lost in the great SUCKAGE...

the VACUUMING of money from the sheeple...

not that you are a sheeple...but...you...I ...all of us... are caught up in it...

ALPHABET...I JUST LOOOOVE THE GREAT WONDERFUL TOUCHY FEELY NAMEs...

is going to go...PAID ANDROID...ALPHABET'S

PROPRIETARY ANDROID...

and what does Shuttleworth do?

host developers conferences on..."THE ISLE OF MAAAANNHNNNN"...where all the good little linux developers get to pat each other on the back...

are we not good boys all...

while HE SUCKS to try to make money...

ONLY...

what is that line from the film...

HE SCREWED IT UP...

what a .###$%$% joke...what a joke...and we were all sucked into him making money off us...

just like Xandros(tm)...which was created to produce ... wait for it...

WINE...

what a JOKE...and the LINUX SHEEPLE... actually BOUGHT INTO IT...and are STILL BUYING INTO IT...

what a joke...

I'm sorry for your problems with the phone...

woodsheesh

Comment

Working...
                              X