X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning - MS Bashing Implied

The headline:
    How Microsoft Convinced Clueless Judges To Send A Man To Jail For Copying Software It Gives Out For Free

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...out-free.shtml

I'm not saying he didn't do wrong, but I do see the big foot stomping down as an intimidation move and not a effort to protect income or product image...

Don't flame me about this, just make your own decision and DO your due diligence research about the report(s).

Also, please don't tell me that some people don't pass a copy of a recovery disk to someone else when an M$ system needs recovery. I won't believe you and you put yourself in the M$ camp... Move away from the Dark Side, Luke!
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
    Also, please don't tell me that some people don't pass a copy of a recovery disk to someone else when an M$ system needs recovery. I won't believe you and you put yourself in the M$ camp... Move away from the Dark Side, Luke!
    Really it's "illegal" to share a recovery disk?
    No wonder I had such a hard time finding it for Win 7 on the net.
    Greg
    W9WD

Comment

Well I, for one, encourage M$ to punish people for trying to recover their or their friend's WinXX installations. Perhaps they'll leave the dark side and move to Linux.

However, the judge probably wasn't clueless, he was bribed. A website, TripsForJudges, documents trips by to resorts for "conferences" and "continuing education" paid for by corporations and activists groups with cases pending before those judges. The site was taken down.

It reminds me of Monsanto. They invented Glyphospate, a chlorophyll antagonist, a.k.a. RoundUp. They also modified corn to be immune to Glyphosphate. When the GMO corn tasseled the pollen floated into nearby fields, cross pollinating non GMO corn planted by other farmers. Monstanto sent black vans into areas surrounding the fields where their corn was planted to get DNA samples and then sued farmers who had cross pollinated corn in their fields. To avoid jail many gave up their farms to Monsanto. Monsanto did this in front of hand-picked judges.
      http://naturalsociety.com/monsanto-s...os-never-lost/

The matter even went before the SCOTUS and guess what? Monsanto won.

https://www.rt.com/usa/monsanto-pate...e-farmers-547/
      The US Supreme Court upheld biotech giant Monsanto’s claims on genetically-engineered seed patents and the company’s ability to sue farmers whose fields are inadvertently contaminated with Monsanto materials.
      The biotech leviathan has filed over 140 lawsuits against farmers for planting the company’s genetically-engineered seeds without permission, while settling around 700 other cases without suing.
      In a June 2013 ruling, the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in Washington, DC said it was inevitable, as the farmers’ argued, that contamination from Monsanto’s products would occur. Yet the appeals panel also said the plaintiffs do not have standing to prohibit Monsanto from suing them should the company’s genetic traits end up on their holdings "because Monsanto has made binding assurances that it will not 'take legal action against growers whose crops might inadvertently contain traces of Monsanto biotech genes (because, for example, some transgenic seed or pollen blew onto the grower's land).'"

The panel’s reference to “traces” of Monsanto’s patented genes means farms that are affected by less than 1 percent.

The plaintiffs asked Monsanto to pledge not to sue, but the company rebuffed the request, saying, "A blanket covenant not to sue any present or future member of petitioners' organizations would enable virtually anyone to commit intentional infringement."

"Intentional infringement", i.e., wind blowing GMO pollen into your field. That sets nature and law on its head. It used to be that when a neighbor's bull broke out of his containment and into yours and inseminated your cow the bull's owner paid for damages. Now, the bull's owner can sue you for illegally acquiring his bull's genetic material.

Now, because of transfer of Glyphosphate genetic immunity to other plants via plasmid rings and insects we have Iron weed with stems 4" in diameter that can't be cleaned out with discs or plows, and weeds which were killed by other herbicides are now immune. Any cost advantages for herbicides have been nullified and farmers are now looking for other means of weed control. It's beginning to look like crop rotation and letting the land lay fallow every 7th year is beginning to look like the great solution it always was. And, avoiding monoculture corn.
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 27, 2018, 12:33 PM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
        The headline:
        How Microsoft Convinced Clueless Judges To Send A Man To Jail For Copying Software It Gives Out For Free

Don't flame me about this, just make your own decision and DO your due diligence research about the report(s).

!
        TWP...

I deal with this crappola on a DAILY basis at my community college...

and the "learned professors"...ACCEPT IT...

BECAUSE...

the ADMINISTRATORS accept it...

BECAUSE...

the BOARD OF GOVERNORS...

struck a deal...

with microshaft...

an example...

without getting into details...

the colleges' "leaning management system"...

in order to save my lecture time in a "hybrid class"...

i provide alternate activities for the students to take home and do and either send me a picture of the activity or provide a written paragraph...

LET US NOT GET INTO "PARITY" and "fairness"...gawwd.

anyway...

if the kid tries to go "down" through the microshaft supplied file structure...

OMG...android...oooooohhhh...I do not recognize that image is it a russian interference in your college...

OMG...iphone...oooooohhhhh I do not recognize that image is it a russian interference in your college...

but...kid clicks da pic...and selects SHARE...

and goes UP through the file structure...

and posts da pic...

badda bing...badda bang...badda boom...

IT IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY

and the ELITE INTELIGENTSIA ACADEMIC PROFESSORS,...

line up and accept it... THEY ARE SMARTER THAN YOU AND ME...

woodlikesyourpostsmolke

Comment

And the State dept of revenue whereI retired from tossed 10,000 LotusNotes licenses for a groupware that worked perfectly and had over 200 fully integrated databases in it and forced 13,000 state employees to use licenses for Excel, Word, sharepoint and several other poorly integrated apps as a replacement. Cost millions for the change and a million a year for licenses, just to operate and half the efficiency and and reinvent the databases because no reliable import tool was offered. All because the new assistant tax commissioner knew only how to run excel. Was she friends with the MS rep?
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

ECC - Ethically Challenged Corporation

I expect this will be used as an excuse in future trials...

"Your Honor, the defense pleads not guilty under the ECC ruling which shelters elected politicians from being held responsible for their actions."

Judge: "I must agree and disallow this lawsuit under the cited conditions. Go and sin no more my child."

Wait, hasn't that already been used?
            Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Working...
            X