This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digging into kernel maintainer laundry

Warning: This is statistics (remember: third category of lies) and it attempts to present future problems with the current kernel development process. I'm NOT saying these are lies, but it may be an answer in search of a problem.

I'm NOT qualified to judge whether this is a real problem being presented by the author.

I AM saying keep on eye on this because the process is certainly getting more complex. Particularly with the continual flow of new hardware/software/apps on top of the need to maintain code for existing hardware/software/apps.

http://blog.ffwll.ch/2018/04/maintainer-statistics.html

If I have interpreted this correctly, there is a two tier system used to move "kernel contributions" through the system. One tier can only submit, the other must agree to review and possibly commit the code for kernel inclusion. Therein lies a bottleneck due to lack of people able to move the system along.

I could be misinterpreting what the author is saying...

FYI
    Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Apr 23, 2018, 07:04 PM.
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

That seems to be the gist of the article, but some subsystems, like powerpc, don't need a high maintainer ratio. So

According to the article, the stuff will hit the fan by 2025. That's about the same time everything else is supposed to hit the fan as well. Seven years. Two years after 18.04's EOL. So, no need to worry!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      ... So, no need to worry!
      Oh, I can't tell you how relieved that makes me feel... Mostly because it doesn't.

Of course we "seasoned" users may not make it to 2025 anyway...

I'll watch this for the future anyway. With 32 bit support fading in more and more places, that could serve as a pressure release on the kernel developers. Of course they will be replaced by younger types... Hmmm... still not feeling good about this.

Ah well, such is life.
      Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
        Oh, I can't tell you how relieved that makes me feel... Mostly because it doesn't.

Of course we "seasoned" users may not make it to 2025 anyway...
        I never thought I'd make it to 76. Make it to 83? *shakes head* I'd be surprised if I did.

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
        I'll watch this for the future anyway. With 32 bit support fading in more and more places, that could serve as a pressure release on the kernel developers. Of course they will be replaced by younger types... Hmmm... still not feeling good about this.

Ah well, such is life.
        I've seen a lot of Wunderkind in the sciences, math and CS. The good ones are an order of magnitude, or more, better than the mere yeomen like myself. I have great hopes for the future of Linux and the Kernel. Linus is a 48 year old genius and has at least seven more good years in him. (But it wouldn't surprise me if he retired at 55 and passed the mantel to one of his subordinates.)
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          ... (But it wouldn't surprise me if he retired at 55 and passed the mantel to one of his subordinates.)
          One more speed bump in the road of life. We'll hit it when we come to it. Hey, it will be a very different game field by 2025... Hope we all make it there.

Comment

Working...
          X