Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well guess what? I went out of town for two weeks and left my PC shut down. Tonight I sparked it up and the old Hitachi died! I guess it felt us posting about it and gave up the ghost, LOL!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Well guess what? I went out of town for two weeks and left my PC shut down. Tonight I sparked it up and the old Hitachi died! I guess it felt us posting about it and gave up the ghost, LOL!
      A leaky capacitor finally leaked its all?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

oshunluvr's post about the old drive has reminded me that I left a loose end or two here.
        Originally posted by jlittle View Post
        Does systemd honour the old /etc/rc.local file? I'll have to try it out.
        It does, one just has to make /etc/rc.local executable, and start it with a valid script shebang, such as #!/bin/bash; neither of which I did at first.

But systemd has better mechanisms. To spin down my drives on resuming from sleep, I dropped a script in /lib/systemd/system-sleep:
        Code:
        #!/bin/bash
        # john spin down my backup and archive drives, they drone and vibrate
        # oppressively

case $1 in
        post)
            # output goes to the journal...
            echo spinning down sda
            /sbin/hdparm -y /dev/sda
            echo spinning down sdb
            /sbin/hdparm -y /dev/sdb
            ;;
        esac
        and made it executable.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          A leaky capacitor finally leaked its all?
          I pulled it this morning because the system kept trying to start up the drive and it was bogging my system down. The production date on the label was "Sept-2008" so I'd say I got more than my money's worth out of this one!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
            oshunluvr's post about the old drive has reminded me that I left a loose end or two here.

It does, one just has to make /etc/rc.local executable, and start it with a valid script shebang, such as #!/bin/bash; neither of which I did at first.

But systemd has better mechanisms. To spin down my drives on resuming from sleep, I dropped a script in /lib/systemd/system-sleep:
            Code:
            #!/bin/bash
            # john spin down my backup and archive drives, they drone and vibrate
            # oppressively

case $1 in
            post)
                # output goes to the journal...
                echo spinning down sda
                /sbin/hdparm -y /dev/sda
                echo spinning down sdb
                /sbin/hdparm -y /dev/sdb
                ;;
            esac
            and made it executable.
            Thanks for posting that delicious tidbit!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X