This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Article - Introducing Microsoft Azure Sphere

Read the comments, particularly the one who doesn't get it...

https://lwn.net/Articles/751994/

I agree with this one: "Embrace, extend, and extinguish"...

Apropos warnings:

"Don't let the camel get its nose under the tent"... Too late

"Never let a salesman get his foot in the door"... Too late

What was the Linux Foundation thinking? Were they even thinking?

Y'all get where I'm comin' from?

Another article on this product:

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/16/mi...w-iot-service/
    Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Apr 17, 2018, 11:38 AM.
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

As a former MS product user who was cut off at the knees when MS dumped VFP6 in favor of .NET, which crashed both the London Stock Exchange and the Chinese Olympics Bird Nest display, I concur with the "Embrace, Extend and Extinguish" analysis. It won't be extinguishing Linux, but the aspirations of WinX users who wanted to "try" Linux before considering a move to it. A modern Linux distro is MUCH MORE than a CLI, and having the WinX kernel and "security" underneath a Linux instance is like flying an F22 from inside a 747 freight liner.

A LOT of curious people will conclude that Linux is too complicated to get running and too unstable to be useful. Besides that, all the programs they want (need?) to use run under Windows. IOW, it is Microsoft's attempt to stop the massive hemorrhaging to Linux that has been gaining speed since the release of VISTA, then Win8 and now, with Win10, is exploding.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm reminded of my days as an OS/2 reseller for IBM. The catch phrase was "OS/2 is half an operating system". It wasn't of course, but too many people bought into that view. It didn't help that IBM was clueless on how to sell to individual consumers. At least Linux has a loyal customer base.

I can see the Redmond plan as trying to show their advocates and wannabes that Linux is just a clunky CLI and not a full OS. New users will be shown a disappointing set of tools and associate that with the Linux name brand. The "extinquish" phase...

I remain a Linux advocate and will try not to brow beat my Windows(r) using friends (hard to resist). The best way is to just show them that it works.
      Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I loved OS/2. Running Win3.x in a DOS box on OS/2 was the ONLY way to keep it running. But, leaving OS/2 is what led me to discovering Linux.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

/me looks up
          /me sees the sky still there
          /me did notice that is sure was cold as......hell...down in southeast Georgia this morning (38!) tho, considering it is halfway to May down here in the Low Country

it is a bit too late for the ancient "embrace, extend, and extinguish" trope. In the home computing sphere, Apple and Google have been taking away chunks of the shrinking computer market, and completely lost the mobile/tablet market. I don't see MS being able to, even if they wanted to any more..

Comment

Claydoh, with respect, the M$ leopard hasn't changed its spots. Their game plan remains the same ("embrace, extend, and extinguish"). What changes is the routes they take to achieve their goal.

Never turn your back on them...
            Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Apr 17, 2018, 03:42 PM. Reason: none spelink gud

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              In the home computing sphere, Apple and Google have been taking away chunks of the shrinking computer market, and completely lost the mobile/tablet market. I don't see MS being able to, even if they wanted to any more..
              Who "completely lost the mobile/tablet market"? MS for sure. Google maybe. Apple owns it. IMO.

Comment

I have been hearing this for nearly 20 years now. Don't see any real progress. A custom kernel for Iot devices, ie arm and other archs that MS hasn't been successful in producing an OS or software for.....?

I don't think it CAN happen. Worst case, we all pick up our toys and fork them somewhere else. I am saying they won't try, but that they can't, or that it isn't possible anymore.

Comment

unfortunately i was in a jungle far far away and missed this simple utterance within a proscenium...faceing stage left..

MOST PLAYERS would utter that the old woodsmoke is just such an idiot

Comment

Azure kernels in the repos now. I avoided them because I don't really know their purpose. To run Ubuntu in a Windows hosted VM

Anyway, I don't see Linux going anywhere. I seriously doubt MS will convince 100% of the world's top 100 super computer operators to install Windows 10 - or even 1%. MS and their game is just as likely, if not more likely, to be the next target of "EEE".

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      ... MS and their game is just as likely, if not more likely, to be the next target of "EEE".
                      EEE ? Eastern equine encephalitis? Don't know this acronym.

Comment

Yup. MS is on course to "EEE" themselves, and it couldn't happen to a worse company.
                        IMO, Azure is just a ploy to keep people, especially developers, from fleeing the Windows platform, which probably won't work in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                          Claydoh, with respect, the M$ leopard hasn't changed its spots. Their game plan remains the same ("Embrace, Extend, and Extinguish"). What changes is the routes they take to achieve their goal.

Never turn your back on them...
                          Uhhhm, maybe your evil twin posted the above? (emphasis added)

Please Read Me

Comment

Ah Ha! I never made the connection to EEE, Thanks.

(Note to self: Must Neutralize Evil Twin. Check with doctor for encephalitis.)

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                              EEE ? Eastern equine encephalitis? Don't know this acronym.
                              Embrace, extend, and extinguish
                              Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                              X