This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring has been cancelled

It's apparent here in Minnesota, that Spring has been cancelled. It's April 14th, and it's been snowing since last night, and expected to continue snowing for another 12-hours!
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

82-F and sunny hear in NC at the moment ,

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

What it looks like 'right now', looking outside from our living room to the front yard.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	C5A024E2-3B83-409B-A567-CF2581ECDCA6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	643830
      Which of course, means home made chili and cheesey cornbread.

We are currently under a Severe Weather Alerts - St. Paul, MN

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM CDT SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions. Winds gusting as high as 35 mph
      will cause whiteout conditions in blowing snow. Significant
      drifting of the snow is likely. Additional snow accumulations of
      4 to 8 inches are expected.

* WHERE...Portions of west central Wisconsin and central, east
      central, south central and southeast Minnesota.

* WHEN...Until 7 AM CDT Sunday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel will be very dangerous to
      impossible.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Blizzard Warning means severe winter weather conditions are
      expected or occurring. Falling and blowing snow with strong winds
      and poor visibilities are likely. This will lead to whiteout
      conditions, making travel extremely dangerous. Do not travel. If
      you must travel, have a winter survival kit with you. If you get
      stranded, stay with your vehicle. The latest road conditions for
      Minnesota can be found at 511mn.org and for Wisconsin at
      511wi.gov, or by calling 5 1 1 in either state.
      Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 14, 2018, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Probably Global Niño Change
        Greg
        W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Which of course, means home made chili and cheesey cornbread.
          now that sounds just great

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Yeah, I make a pretty good chili, pretty darn good chili in fact. It definitely satisfies the tastes in this household. The cornbread is good too. Just your basic Albers recipe that I sometimes 'mix up' a bit; jalepenos, cheese, corn 'n peppers. Makes for a more interesting accompaniment to the chili.

Comment

Two years ago I taught my 10 year old grandson how to fish for Bass. I have a photo of him showing off his first Nebraska Angler Award 5 lb Bass. That was on April 10, 2016. In the photo the trees are bare but we are not wearing coats or jackets. Six days later he caught his 2nd Award 5 lb Bass. In that photo the trees have leaves on them and we are definitely not wearing coats or jackets. Today, April 14, 2018, there is a blizzard going on outside with 50 mph winds, the temp is 28F and it feels like 20F. We've had rain or snow every weekend for the last six weeks, and ditto for many days in between. The prediction for tomorrow is more rain & snow. The forecast for NEXT weekend is rain, Friday through Monday. I detected the appearance of small scales on my arms this morning.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It's apparent here in Minnesota, that Spring has been cancelled. It's April 14th, and it's been snowing since last night, and expected to continue snowing for another 12-hours!
                It's the same here in Maine, expecting snow and freezing rain tonight into tomorrow. 36 degrees at the moment. does not feel like spring much.
                Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

The cornbread is good too. Just your basic Albers recipe that I sometimes 'mix up' a bit; jalepenos, cheese, corn 'n peppers. Makes for a more interesting accompaniment to the chili.
                  O heck , your the MAN , that sounds ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,like I'm hungry now .

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

i wanted to put the AC on today. And as a member of the International Chili Association, one never needs an excuse to make chili, it's always in season!
                    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

This being Out of Focus ... someone COULD post their prize chili recipe, ya know. Grew up in the Midwest having it frequently. I could give you a recipe for green chile stew or red chile stew . I refer to your chili as "Texas chili" -- meat, kidney beans, onion, tomato, cumin, chili powder, etc. If you are cooking with raw (versus canned) kidney beans, did you know that you must cook the beans very, very well (to kill the toxin)?
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I use dried kidney and black beans, boiled for two minutes and then left to set for an hour and then simmered until tender.
                        Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 15, 2018, 12:16 AM.

Comment

There is evidence that the sun is entering a Maunder Minimum cycle which may mean colder weather for the next few years, perhaps until 2030. There was a mini Ice Age in the 17th century during another Maunder Minimum, and so there may be some relation. A Maunder Minimum is a state where the sun produces very few sunspots, and thus less radiation. It will be very interesting to see how this condition is affected by the recent trend of global warming due in part to emission of greenhouse gases.

Comment

Viewing this thread means that your URL will be reported to the authorities.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
                              There is evidence that the sun is entering a Maunder Minimum cycle which may mean colder weather for the next few years, perhaps until 2030. There was a mini Ice Age in the 17th century during another Maunder Minimum, and so there may be some relation. A Maunder Minimum is a state where the sun produces very few sunspots, and thus less radiation. It will be very interesting to see how this condition is affected by the recent trend of global warming due in part to emission of greenhouse gases.
                              I am a heretic. None of the predictions made by its acolytes have come true, and, Global Warming cannot be falsified so it is not a science. I classify it as a form of Lysenkoism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X