X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft is now ready to look through people's e-mails for rude words

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...sive_language/

https://www.privateinternetaccess.co...rts-real-time/

It all seems to be getting a little out of control now.

However, we cannot monitor the entire Services and make no attempt to do so.
    Which is alright to say before you get the technology to do so.

What do you bet me that the rude word list will include things like "GNU", "Linux", "Linus", "BSD", "Free", "Open Source", plus the names of anybody who voices an opinion against Micro$oft

Nah! They're such a nice company with honor and honesty to spare...

[prediction]
    I can hear this from a future announcement:

"Of course we didn't specify those words, but some over zealous employees added them to the filter without our knowledge or consent. The list will be purged immediately after the next biennial employee initiative awards ceremony"...

[/prediction]
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

What's nice about Linux is the ability to automatically encrypt your emails when you send them. They can be encrypted to allow reading without changes, or to allow reading ONLY when a password is entered. Give your password to your recipients in another manner.

Or, you can create them as an odt or pdf or txt file and then use KGpg to encrypt them and send them as an attachment, if your email client doesn't allow a KGpg plugin. I use a 4096 bit key.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        What's nice about Linux is the ability to automatically encrypt your emails when you send them. They can be encrypted to allow reading without changes, or to allow reading ONLY when a password is entered. Give your password to your recipients in another manner. >>>>>>>>
        Clarify (or calcify) what you mean by "Linux gives you the ability to automatically encrypt emails when you send them."

I used the Enigma add-on for Thunderbird with Windows and now Linux. I could also fairly easily encrypt emails manually with Windows. I'm not clear on what Linux does/has that makes it easier?
        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
          Clarify (or calcify) what you mean by "Linux gives you the ability to automatically encrypt emails when you send them."

I used the Enigma add-on for Thunderbird with Windows and now Linux. I could also fairly easily encrypt emails manually with Windows. I'm not clear on what Linux does/has that makes it easier?
          I used to use KMail. In the cryptography section of the account setup is the ability to enter the ID that is generated when you make a key using KGpg. Then you can set up the system to automatically surround the email with "armor" which indicates if attempts to change the contents of the email has taken place. Or, you can set it to fully encrypt the email so that only those with the public key can open the email to read it. That, of course, requires that you send the public key by another means to those whom you allow to read your encrypted email. It's all automatic after the setup is complete, which takes generating a key with KGpg and then entering the ID into the appropriate input in the cryptography section of KMail.
          https://userbase.kde.org/KMail/PGP_M...g_your_gpg_key

I switched to Thunderbird because KMail broke after an update. It also had problems with ghost emails and other nagging faults. When Oshunluver mentioned mailspring I tried it out and liked it. Simple, light, easy to set up, but no encryption. Didn't matter. I only tested encryption on KMail, I had no need to use it because I never send sensitive info by email. And, if I did need to send something and keep it secret I can always use KGpg to encrypt a text file, odt or pdf containing my message and send it as an attachment.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Gotcha.
            If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

This is nothing new.
              When I first started teaching at my present public college.
              The HEAD OF THE DEPARTMENT...

Been there for...ten years...?

This is ... 2004? 2005?

He had a friend who's daughter was a female "cheerleader".

She went to a regional competition and the team won the regional competition.

Because they had some kind of "special" "pyramid"...

Ok...boys on the bottom... maybe five don't remember...
              Girls above...maybe four?
              boys...three?
              girls...two...?
              HER...ON THE TOP...

NOW YA GOTTA PUT THIS IN PERSPECTIVE...

Such "pyramids" had been banned by the people who want to "keep you safe"...apparently such a thing had collapsed at some prior time...kids hurt...dunno...the buzz going around...

Ok the girl is on top...arms stretched upward...

right leg straight out front

and dad below...

there was a "HINT"...of the PROTECTIVE..."whatever, short shorts" underneath"...A HINT...I, personally when he showed it to me...could see NOTHING...

BUT THE ALL SEEING EYE OF SAURON...

had decided...2004...that this pic IN A SCHOOl...

you give up all rights when on "a public whatever server"...

was...VERBOTEN...

automagically...Microshaft had provided the ...through

2004 their...

"body" dunno..."recognition" program...

And because the all seeing eye of Sauron had decided that the image was...

WHAT TERM..."vulgar", "revealing", "suspect"...dunno...

what is the FACEBOOK(tm) term..."not meeting community standards"...

not an administrator!!! NOO...the freakikng application and then the ADMINISTRATOR could POINT OVER THERE...not my fault that your friend sent a SUSPECT image...

YOU...are ON REPORT!!!!

and the LIBERAL...ELITE...SMARTER THAN ANYONE ELSE...ACADEMIC SHEEPLE...

WENT ALONG WITH IT!!!

So,... ACADEMICS...GOVERNMENT PEOPLE...BUSINESS PEOPLE...

oh...no...

NOT MY DECISION!!

BLAME..."that whatever over there"...

THe great Zuch was right...

The SHEEPLE...INCLUDING THE ELITE ACADEMICS...

want NOTHING to do with ANY kind of "decision making"...

THE STUDENT...is RESPONSIBLE...for...everything in the book...not MY responsibility...

WHAT CRAPPOLA...

I am so da@# tired of the supposed elites shirking any and all responsibility...and the business people...and the government...

it is always..."their fault"...pointing left, right up down...not MY JOB.

woodaaarrrgh...smok

Comment

"THE ALL SEEING EYE OF SAURON..." haha!

Comment

Where is a Hobbit when you really need one?
                  Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Working...
                  X