This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wengophone - Open soft alternative to Skype

There is an open software alternative for Skype just coming up.
    It's name is Wengophone and you can find their site it in here:

http://www.openwengo.com/

Binaries:

RPM
    http://www.wengofiles.teaser-hosting...950-2.i386.rpm

DEB
    http://www.wengofiles.teaser-hosting...950-1.i386.deb

Sources:

http://www.wengofiles.teaser-hosting...050906.tar.bz2

There are versions for Linux (both rpm and deb), Windows 2000/XP, Mac OS 10.3 or latter and Pocket PC Windows mobile 2003.

The Linux versions are still in Beta but they work. There is a problem with the debian version in Ubuntu/Kubuntu. During the install it depends on libqtm102 that is not compatible with the default version that we have. So don't install the debian package or you will finish with a broken package.
    Download the rpm version, do alien <name_of_package.rpm> and then dpkg -i <name_of_package.deb>.
    That will do the trick.

Best regards,
    A.Correia

Re: Wengophone - Open soft alternative to Skype

Nice! Too bad the sources aren't there for download (unless you're a dev/like svn versions) and hey it uses KDE & Qt!!

Hmm.. tested on Sarge & Kubuntu but doesn't work thanks to libqtm102. :|

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick
      Nice! Too bad the sources aren't there for download (unless you're a dev/like svn versions) and hey it uses KDE & Qt!!

I saw a message in their forum saying you have to ask for the sources from their development team. But I agree with you they should be available for download in the site. Perhaps real soon now if we put the pressure on them.

Best regards,
      A.Correia

Comment

Patrick I looked in their forums and found the link to the sources. I've modified my original message to reflect that.
        I've also seen that some people have difficulties compiling it so if it happens just go to their linux forums where you'll find some help.
        It would be great if you or someone else could put a .deb package with the program (correctly configured for Kubuntu Breezy) in the repositories.

Best regards,
        A.Correia

PS - They say this is just a port of their WIN32 version but that we should stay tuned because things are moving fast on the linux front and "soon" there will be a "real" linux version.
        They are also aware of the qt library problem (this is the Hoary version) and it's supposed to be fixed in their next release.

Originally posted by arcorreia

I saw a message in their forum saying you have to ask for the sources from their development team. But I agree with you they should be available for download in the site. Perhaps real soon now if we put the pressure on them.

Best regards,
        A.Correia

Comment

Ya know. I was reading on the OpenWengo homepage and it looks very competitive. I think I will download the source tonight and give it a try.
          Cheers,
          Joey

Comment

Originally posted by bandit
            Ya know. I was reading on the OpenWengo homepage and it looks very competitive. I think I will download the source tonight and give it a try.
            Cheers,
            Joey
            Don't forget to read their howtos/faq. I think they use an alternative to "make" and I've never heard about it before.
            Good luck and let us know if you succeeded.

Best regards,
            A.Correia

Comment

I think they use an alternative to "make" and I've never heard about it before.
              Only alternatives I know to make are: scons, and unsermake.
              "apt-cache show unsermake" and apt-cache show scons.

Comment

I think they use an alternative to "make" and I've never heard about it before.
                Only alternatives I know to make are: scons, and unsermake.
                "apt-cache show unsermake" and apt-cache show scons.

Yes, now I remember, it's scons but as I use allways make and until now didn't fall upon something that needed scons...
                Thanks.

Best regards,
                A.Correia

Comment

Yes, now I remember, it's scons but as I use allways make and until now didn't fall upon something that needed scons... 
                  App of the Month KDissert uses scons.

Comment

Working...
                  X