This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgrading hardware

well ill be upgrading my server to a new motherboard cpu and ram soon as it's going from a dell based system to a custom setup will I need to re-install kubuntu or will it detct the new hardware and download the nessacery software?

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
    Tutorials:
    Yoda's ownCloud Installation on Kubuntu 20.04

It should boot up OK. You may have to install specific drivers for your wifi and GPU, but since it is a server you may be running it headless and without wifi.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

the best way to describe it its ot started out life as a desktop pc ive installed kubuntu desktop as it makes it easer for me to manage the server using full gui and cli when needed, is it still the case wher it will boot up fine i just have to install spasific hardware drivers gpu WiFi etc

Tutorials:

Comment

Probably not. It should boot up into the frame buffer display with no problem, but if you have a higher performance or 2ndry GPU you may have to manually install a specific driver.

kcmshell5 --list

gives you a list of plasma desktop commands. One is kcm_kscreen
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Probably not. It should boot up into the frame buffer display with no problem, but if you have a higher performance or 2ndry GPU you may have to manually install a specific driver.

kcmshell5 --list

gives you a list of plasma desktop commands. One is kcm_kscreen
          this will be the setup.

an asus 1159 motherboard, intel i5-i7 cpu 4gb ddr 4 ram, no secondary gpu atm so it will boot into cli and ill have to install the software to work with the motherboard graphics output?

Tutorials:

Comment

I believe that your new system will boot and automatically use the framebuffer of your gpu, which will give you a graphical output. From there you can go to system-settings and make changes.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              I believe that your new system will boot and automatically use the framebuffer of your gpu, which will give you a graphical output. From there you can go to system-settings and make changes.
              thanks bro your a star

Tutorials:

Comment

Working...
              X