This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accessing Samba Shares.

Good afternoon all, is it possible to securely connect to my samba shares via the internet from my mums windows laptop, if i have to use a vpn please bare in mind my sever only has one lan port and i cant find my spare pci lan card [emoji20]

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
    Tutorials:
    Yoda's ownCloud Installation on Kubuntu 20.04

can anyone help me?

Tutorials:

Comment

https://serverfault.com/questions/10...r-the-internet

I did a quick search and got links like that stating that is it a very bad security practice to use Samba over the internet.

Perhaps be a bit more specific about the task you which to achieve and someone can recommend an alternative solution. Are you just sharing files between computers? Do you have a server to stream media from?

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
        https://serverfault.com/questions/10...r-the-internet

I did a quick search and got links like that stating that is it a very bad security practice to use Samba over the internet.

Perhaps be a bit more specific about the task you which to achieve and someone can recommend an alternative solution. Are you just sharing files between computers? Do you have a server to stream media from?
        Thanks bro basically the task seems simple enough.

im running a server using the kubuntu desktop os, which is used so i can access my media via samba.

my parents want to access my media aswell as uploaded there own to watch at thier house.

this is basically what im in need off

my server
        |
        my isp router + my local devices on LAN and Wifi
        |
        access for my parents

Thanks

ATB Yoda

Tutorials:

Comment

You could set up SSH/SFTP on your server. This is a good video showing you how to start https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWr6VCgLxBs

He alludes to it in the video but I'd suggest, if you haven't, setting up a new user without admin privileges to store your media files under. You'd need a static IP address both on your home network and with ISP for any sharing of your files across the internet and you'd need to configure your router to allow port access. Personally not really knowledgable on the access to internet part, so hopefully someone will chip in there but I use ssh/sftp fine over a home network.

Your parents would then use a program like Filezilla to access the files in windows. With Dolphin on KDE, you set it up to access them like any other file on your computer.

Another option is to install cloud software like this https://nextcloud.com/

Comment

I allow SSH/SFTP over a nonstandard port to mu computer and webdav (https) to a seperate cloud drive
            Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
              You could set up SSH/SFTP on your server. This is a good video showing you how to start https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWr6VCgLxBs

He alludes to it in the video but I'd suggest, if you haven't, setting up a new user without admin privileges to store your media files under. You'd need a static IP address both on your home network and with ISP for any sharing of your files across the internet and you'd need to configure your router to allow port access. Personally not really knowledgable on the access to internet part, so hopefully someone will chip in there but I use ssh/sftp fine over a home network.

Your parents would then use a program like Filezilla to access the files in windows. With Dolphin on KDE, you set it up to access them like any other file on your computer.

Another option is to install cloud software like this https://nextcloud.com/
              it is an option that i looked into they are not tech savvy enough to use ssh/ftp basically it needs to be something like this,

she opens the windows 10 file manager thing then she clicks on a folder and the media is there for her to watch without having to download it, ill look into the cloud side of things tho

Tutorials:

Comment

just looking at the cloud option may be the trick to nail this however i have a cupple of questions.

A: will i have to upload my media to "thier servers"

B: are there any free / open source options available im not going to spend money on it

Tutorials:

Comment

Also worth noting that you can use Plex to do this for you as well. As an aside, I really like Plex a lot and have used it for years. Others on this forum do as well. Mainly I use it in conjunction with my Roku TV's and sticks, but of course it works well via a browser or phone app. https://www.howtogeek.com/259529/how...-with-friends/

Just posting in case you're looking for perhaps a more simple way to accomplish your desired task.
                  ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                    Also worth noting that you can use Plex to do this for you as well. As an aside, I really like Plex a lot and have used it for years. Others on this forum do as well. Mainly I use it in conjunction with my Roku TV's and sticks, but of course it works well via a browser or phone app. https://www.howtogeek.com/259529/how...-with-friends/

Just posting in case you're looking for perhaps a more simple way to accomplish your desired task.
                    ill have a look into plex it may be just what I need

Tutorials:

Comment

They have a native Linux server component available as a .deb file, so easy-peasy. Should you have questions, feel free to ask, although in that case you might want to start a new thread in a more appropriate forum section.
                      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                      K*Digest Blog
                      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

plex installed fine but i have to subscribe to there service to talor my needs, and i can forget about using the plex android app to test it as all i get is buffering even the web player is lagging [emoji22] sigh it showed so much promise, so im basically back to square one

Tutorials:

Comment

while i dont consider plex to fulfill my needs during a Google search i stumbled upon media portal maybe an idea all i realy need basically a media streaming sever and a vpn and a player like kodi on my folks machine but will it display the media as if it was on local network ie each tv show with its own seasons and eppisodes or will it just show a huge list of file names

Tutorials:

Comment

Originally posted by hightokeinyoda View Post
                            just looking at the cloud option may be the trick to nail this however i have a cupple of questions.

A: will i have to upload my media to "thier servers"

B: are there any free / open source options available im not going to spend money on it

You can install the software on your own server software on your own one, it doesn't cost you anything.

Comment

well ive been doing some reading and NFSv4 may be the awnser,

by any chance does anyone know of a tutorial for installing and setting up NFSv4 on kubuntu 14.0.4 so it can be accessed via the internet i.e via kodi from my mums house?

Tutorials:

Comment

Working...
                              X