Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBC news has left ALL as in ALL of U.S. lamestream media in the DUST not unexpected

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
    Greygeek, our cable 'net connection ($70/mo) gives me maximum of about 6Gb/s download speeds. That is more than fast enough for our needs. Of course it isn't always that fast, but I can live with the occasional slow periods. It depends on how many computers are trying to use the wireless here.

Did you see the recent food (for real) product being offered by https://www.soylent.com/... I guessing it is either very black humor or they haven't ever watched the movie...

Have we hijacked this thread enough?
    6 GIGABYTES download speed? 6?
    https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...data-37km.html

I've seen a LOT of 1 Gbps offerings. I can buy 1Gbps for $90/mo if I wanted it but 100Mbps is more than fast enough for me. And, it is symmetrical. Same speed both down and up.

How do we know that Soylent isn't making people part of their drinks? (Cue the conspiracy theorists!)
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 20, 2018, 05:07 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Gb - Giga Bits
      GB - Giga Bytes
      Small 1024 8 factor difference. Yeah, it's often a mistake when using shorthand notation, but yes, I meant about 6 Gigabits/sec, as I wrote it.

Carlton Heston must be rolling over in his grave...

[edit] not a math major...
      Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Feb 21, 2018, 08:36 AM.
      Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Gb - Giga Bits
        GB - Giga Bytes
        Small 1024 factor difference.
        Er... There's (usually) 8 bits in a byte. With overheads (error checking, headers...), a rule of thumb has been a factor of 10, I wonder if that's still reasonable at the Gb/s level.

Regards, John Little
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Oops, jlittle, you're correct, I meant a factor of 8 (bits to bytes). Since the overhead is not reported, I can't say if it is exact to convert Gb to GB. Since my download speed varies greatly during an actual download, I don't even try to do the exact math. All that matters is that it is (usually) very fast and I don't need to go get a cup of something while waiting.

I hate to think about going back to a slower 'net connection... Even the public library wireless gives my about 1-2 Gb/s download speeds. Let's hope the system keeps it's stuff together and doesn't do a crash like the economy will... Be optimistic.
          Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Gb - Giga Bits
            GB - Giga Bytes
            Small 1024 8 factor difference. Yeah, it's often a mistake when using shorthand notation, but yes, I meant about 6 Gigabits/sec, as I wrote it.

Carlton Heston must be rolling over in his grave...

[edit] not a math major...
            It was my confusing GB mixed up with Gb comment that John was rightly correcting. I am a
            And that ground shaking in California was Heston's fault!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I think we should blame all of this on the BBC for making good movies and charging too much for them. (trying to return the thread to the rails...)

Comment

Wow, I'm glad the BBC iplayer is restricted to the UK. I can see where children (of all ages) would rapidly run up a bill that could not be paid.

Does the UK not have any free radio/TV broadcast channels?
                would you PLEASE expand on the BBC iplayer being restricted to the UK?
                Is it related to "your ISP does not have permission to access this media"? in the U.S.
                woodwonderingsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
                  You don't get charged per content on the iplayer. It's included in the license, which is £145 for a year,

There are free channels in that you don't pay them to watch them but you need the license to watch them. However, you can watch catch up of other channels without a license. So for example:

1: You want to watch popular quiz show "The Chase", it is on the channel ITV. It's not a BBC channel but you need a licence to watch it live. The money goes to the BBC, ITV makes it money by putting adverts in the show.

2: You've missed X Factor and you go to watch it on their catch up service, you don't need the license for that.

3: You want to watch the news show "This Week". It's on BBC One. You need a license to watch it however you do it. The money goes towards the program and there are no adverts.

4: You want to watch a live sports program on a subscription channel. You pay the license and the subscription. Plus there are probably adverts too.
                  I agree that financial entities need to make money, watching something 'a week late" is not, to me, something that is bad, it merely is that if one wants something NOW then one pays for it...

I AM SUBSCRIBED TO THE BBC AS OF THE PREVIOUS POST

I PAY for value provided as long as it is not "predatory'...but yes... watching "BIG BANG THEORY" a week late is GOOD... really...if I do not want to 'pay" then I should EXPECT to wait a week...

nice post

Comment

Greygeek, our cable 'net connection ($70/mo) gives me maximum of about 6Gb/s download speeds. That is more than fast enough for our needs. Of course it isn't always that fast, but I can live with the occasional slow periods. It depends on how many computers are trying to use the wireless here.

Did you see the recent food (for real) product being offered by https://www.soylent.com/... I guessing it is either very black humor or they haven't ever watched the movie...

Have we hijacked this thread enough?
                    OMG I TEACH ABOUT THE FILM when I am in the "population unit"...and the students PAY ATTENTION...some actually view the FILM...and then the DISUCSSION ENSUES,...

woodlovedsdiscussionsmoke

Comment

I went to the BBC site and tried to run their iplayer on one of the shows. The message was that use of iplayer was restricted to the UK... That's all I know.

Comment

ok!

I would add...that right here...in these forums...I was TOLD...very condescendingly...that what you just posted was impossible because 'all information is free".

YES...I AGREE..except that there some words are wrong or missing..."all information SHOULD BE free'.

Apparently...people IN THE REST OF THE WORLD... are not "good enough" to view CHINA'S EXCLUSIVE INFORMATION ON CHINA'S EXCLUSIVE HARDWARE...

ooops...sorry...replace China with UK.

woodjustsayinsmoke

Comment

I went to the BBC site and tried to run their iplayer on one of the shows. The message was that use of iplayer was restricted to the UK... That's all I know.
                          Yes the content is geo-blocked for licensing reasons. Detecting your location. Much like Amazon Prime and Netflix do. To have different versions in each country. Except the BBC iPlayer is UK only.
                          People use a VPN or Smart DNS to get round it.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X