This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ads in system tray.

anyone else seeing this ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I think? it started with firefox-58 ,,,,but not sure

VINNY
    Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 18, 2018, 10:24 PM.
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

I get stuff from my phone (KDE connect), Google+ and Gmail among others.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      I get stuff from my phone (KDE connect), Google+ and Gmail among others.
      OK ,,,,,I'm not alone.

I was feeling violated

VINNY
      16GB RAM

Comment

What version of Kubuntu are you using?

Comment

Re. Firefox, https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ations-firefox
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
            This is a quote from this link, emphasis mine.

Firefox maintains an active connection to a push service in order to receive push messages as long as it is open. The connection ends when Firefox is closed. On our server we store a randomized identifier for your browser, along with a randomized identifier for each site you authorize.

On Firefox for desktop, the push service is operated by Mozilla. Firefox for Android uses a combination of the Mozilla Web Push service and Google’s Cloud Messaging platform to deliver notifications to Firefox for Android.

In both cases, push messages are encrypted per the IETF spec and only your copy of Firefox can decipher them. The encrypted messages are stored on the server until they are delivered or expire.
            The instructions do allow you to disallow all sites from sending PUSH notifications to you.

To stop all sites from sending you push messages, follow the above steps except, instead of selecting a specific site, click Remove All Sites. Websites will not be able to send you messages and will need to ask your permission to send them in the future.
            Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Feb 18, 2018, 10:23 PM. Reason: added method of stopping all PUSH notifictions
            Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
              What version of Kubuntu are you using?
              well this is the Neon-/dev/stable that started life as Kubuntu-16.04 then had the Neon repo added to the sources.list

thanks ,,,I thought it may be something like that ,,,,will try tuning it of and see.

thankes to you as well @TWPonKubuntu for separating out the pertinent parts

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

This may help if you want a blanket ban: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1141800
                Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

This may help if you want a blanket ban: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1141800
                  I read the support thread, linked above, and note that it is over a year old. This suggests that we, as users, have not been subjected to this push notification, even thought it has been active, because it has taken this long for website designers to begin using this "tool".

Now that it is beginning to "raise its ugly head" as it were, we can expect to see more of it, unless we take the time to disable it in the browser configuration.

The fact remains that it should never have been made opt-out in the first place. Too many users will fail to note, at install time, that the option should be rejected. Microsoft(r) does this, Mozilla(r) should not.
                  Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                    The fact remains that it should never have been made opt-out in the first place.
                    Mozilla describes the service as opt-in. Web sites have been asking me if I want to get notifications for what seems a long time now, at least a year, and I've always clicked or tapped whatever looked like the "no" option; I presume clicking yes is opting in.

Now, it appears to me that you think that you did not opt-in to getting these questions, and to get them you should have had to opt-in to them. Fair enough, I suppose, but web sites have been able to present pop-ups like these since javascript became a thing, or maybe before, so they're not a new class of intrusion.

I like the fact that they are systematized and the user can take control, and the parties to this carry on are open about what's being done. You can't say anything like that for much of today's web experience, with many web pages running dozens of scripts doing who knows what.

Regards, John Little
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                      ... and I've always clicked or tapped whatever looked like the "no" option; I presume clicking yes is opting in.
                      If one is sure about never wanting to see these types of notifications, the about:config tweak would be useful.
                      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

jlittle,

That is why I run the NoScript extension and block all scripts. UBlock also.

Yes, it sometimes takes a few more mouse clicks to enable selective third party scripts before a given webpage will show enough info to be useful... The risk of bad scripts and unwanted data collection outweighs the minor interruption in browsing.

If more people blocked third party scripts, the designers would get a hint. I don't expect that to happen, but I can dream...

Comment

TWP is a good man
                          THE salient item is:
                          push service in order to receive push messages
                          block push

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                            TWP is a good man
                            THE salient item is:

block push

woodsmoke
                            ? I did not realize their was an H on the end of that ,,,,,,,,,,,O never mind

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                            X