This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kate or Kwrite?

I've just recently returned to kde and discovered that Kate and kwrite have been installed during installation. On the face of it I cannot see much difference between the two. Just out of curiosity which one do you prefer or use if any?
    systemd is not for me. I am a retro Nintendo gamer. consoles I play on are, SNES; N64; GameCube and WII.
    Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Trinity R14.0.8 tk: Qt 3.5.0 info: kicker wm: Twin 3.0 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10

There isn't much difference. Kwrite is based on kate, but is designed to integrate better with KDE. I like kate, personally, as a purely text writer, but I'm sure kwrite is just as capable. It's the whole Linux choice thing - once again.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Neither. They are fine for very general stuff, but thats about it. Sublime is a great general editor, but its not open source and technically you're supposed to pay for it.

[blasphemy]
      You want a superior editor that costs nothing and is open source? Microsoft's VS Code is fantastic. I switched to it from Sublime a few months back and haven't looked back since. It has thousands of plugins, is super fast, has great git and debug integration, and is being actively developed.
      Source: https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode
      Site: https://code.visualstudio.com/
      [/blasphemy]

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
        Neither. They are fine for very general stuff, but thats about it. Sublime is a great general editor, but its not open source and technically you're supposed to pay for it.

[blasphemy]
        You want a superior editor that costs nothing and is open source? Microsoft's VS Code is fantastic. I switched to it from Sublime a few months back and haven't looked back since. It has thousands of plugins, is super fast, has great git and debug integration, and is being actively developed.
        Source: https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode
        Site: https://code.visualstudio.com/
        [/blasphemy]
        Ah, glad I'm not the only sinner. I switched a month ago from Komodo to Visual Studio Code, because Komodo became very slow with lots of bugs.
        It's from Microsoft, but open source. Best editor I've ever worked with.
        If you had told me five years ago my main editor would be something from MIcrosoft, I would have called a medic. But it looks to me it's pretty loose from the 'real' Microsoft. Anyway, this is a better attitude then calling Linux cancer...
        Last edited by Goeroeboeroe; Jan 30, 2018, 04:32 PM. Reason: Hehe, changed 'mean' to 'main'. Something freudian?

Comment

Yep, it comes down to your use case for a text editor. On the other extreme, Leafpad (and others like it) are really compact and do a great job on pure notes not related to code writing. For note writing Leafpad is smaller and lighter, but produces text files just a well as kate.

So here we go, Linux - choices, choices, choices!
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

IMO, there is a huge difference between Kate and KWrite in the way they handle lots of files simultaneously.
            I can open over 1,000 text files at once in Kate and search them for a word or phrase. A double panel opens on the right side with the files selected out of the 1,000+ listed in the bottom panel and when I click on one of the files listed in the bottom panel the text file opens in the top panel with the word or phrase highlighted. I've sued this feature many times.

KWrite chokes on a couple hundred files.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I agree with GG. Kate has been great here and handles the coding I do.

Comment

I like using Geany for coding bash scripts and test running them too (it's a simple IDE). It's in the repository.
                Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                  I like using Geany for coding bash scripts and test running them too (it's a simple IDE). It's in the repository.
                  It has a lot of nice plug-ins as well!
                  Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I like Kate well enough and use it for specific purposes, but for day-to-day text stuff I use KWrite...when I'm not using vi, that is.
                    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
                    X