This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thunderbird 115 Released with Major UI Changes

It doesn't look like LTS and Neon will be getting it...

A brand new version of the Thunderbird email client is out – and it’s looking fire!

Many of the major UI changes teased last year make their debut here in Thunderbird 115, which has been dubbed “Supernova” and is available to download for Windows, macOS, and Linux from July 11 from a beautifully revamped Thunderbird homepage.
    https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2023/07/...d-115-released
    ​​
    Constant change is here to stay!

I can imagine that KDE neon could get it, because they use the Mozilla Team PPA for Firefox and Thunderbird.
    Perhaps TUXEDO OS 2 will get it too, as they use their own builds of some programs like Firefox.

If Thunderbird 115 will be in the Mozilla Team PPA, Kubuntu 22.04 and 23.04 users also could get it from there (e.g. with the Script to install traditional Firefox which also installs Thunderbird from there with the system's package manager afterwards).
    We will see.

Or one can get it as a Flatpak or a Snap, of course.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 12, 2023, 03:40 AM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I prefer to download the binary and install it under /opt than use Snap or Flatpak, but that's just me!

Comment

You are not alone.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

There are no Thunderbird builds listed at all in the Firefox ESR PPA that Neon has installed!
          Attached Files

Comment

Code:
            …@PC-KDEneon:~$ LC_ALL=C apt policy thunderbird
            thunderbird:
            Installed: (none)
            Candidate: 1:102.13.0+build1-0ubuntu0.22.04.1
            Version table:
            1:102.13.0+build1-0ubuntu0.22.04.1 500
            500 [URL]http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu[/URL] jammy-security/main amd64 Packages
            500 [URL]http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu[/URL] jammy-updates/main amd64 Packages
            1:102.13.0+build1-0ubuntu0.22.04.1~mt1 500
            500 [URL]https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/mozillateam/ppa/ubuntu[/URL] jammy/main amd64 Packages
            1:91.8.0+build2-0ubuntu1 500
            500 [URL]http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu[/URL] jammy/main amd64 Packages​
            There it is (but still the "old" version):
            1:102.13.0+build1-0ubuntu0.22.04.1~mt1 500
            https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/mozillateam/ppa/ubuntu jammy/main amd64 Packages​

PS:​ Sometimes Tunderbird from the *Ubuntu repositories is "newer", sometimes the one from the Mozilla Team PPA "really" is.
            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 12, 2023, 05:41 PM. Reason: added PS

Comment

The UI changes... very GTK3. Acceptable once the "Hide system window titlebar" setting is unchecked, to get back the window frame.

(This work lunar install had formerly the APT version of Thunderbird, which silently stopped being updated some time ago. Presumably if snaps were installed a release upgrade would have switched to the snap version. I had to install from the tar ball, then use thunderbird -profilemanager to get it to use the older version's set up.)
              Regards, John Little

Comment

I finally had time to throw TBird in my /opt directory and pointed the menu entry to it before removing the installed DEB version.

No problems at all. It picked up my mail accounts right away!

Well, one minor problem! Rise Of The Tools extension is no longer compatible.

Another plus for me is that Rikaichamp (Japanese English reader extension) has been ported to this version!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
                  ... TBird in my /opt directory ... removing the installed DEB version.

No problems at all. It picked up my mail accounts right away!
                  On my desktop that was my experience, but on my work laptop the new Thunderbird thought it was a new installation. The solution was identifying which profile in ~/.thunderbird had some data, and using
                  Code:
                  thunderbird -profilemanager
                  to select it.
                  Last edited by jlittle; Jul 14, 2023, 05:06 PM.
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

Could someone tell me if the extension Old Icons works with this new version?

Comment

Originally posted by Montmorency View Post
                      Could someone tell me if the extension Old Icons works with this new version?
                      No.
                      Code:
                      Old Icons could not be installed because it is not
                      compatible with Thunderbird 115.0
                      It's good to know that there's other people who dislike monochrome, flat icons, though.
                      Last edited by jlittle; Jul 14, 2023, 05:19 PM.
                      Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks.
                        Let's hope the add-on is updated.
                        And yes, there are others that dislike "modern" aesthetics.

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
                          It doesn't look like LTS and Neon will be getting it...

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2023/07/...d-115-released
                          ​​
                          I got the latest Thunderbird by adding the following ppa:

Code:
                          sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/thunderbird-next
                          In the brief time that I have had to use it, I find that it is better and I have less trouble with getting Preferences on an email.

Comment

One should mention that Mozilla Team's thunderbird-next PPA is the "Official PPA for Thunderbird Beta" and currently only provides Thunderbird 115 for *Ubuntu 23.10 Mantic Minotaur (which is in development until October '23).
                            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 19, 2023, 06:47 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

A litte update:
                              I have heard that the official Flatpak version of Thunderbird 115 should be released at the beginning of August.
                              Also the Snap version seems still to be a release candidate only and has been patched twice.
                              One can already get Thunderbird 115 as a direct download from https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/all/ for Linux, macOS and Windows or one can get it in Arch, Debian experimental or Gentoo - but not in openSUSE Tumbleweed yet (they will have their reasons…) or from any other major distro's repositories (didn't check NixOS, though).

I think I will wait…

To add to the entertainment: a little rant video has been released by Matt from The Linux Cast
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-OvQw2JRWI
                              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 20, 2023, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X