Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be corrected if I'm off base, but if you are running an PC that isn't exposed to the 'Net, and is/are only being used (as you state) for local storage, then the age of the OS isn't an issue; if it works, it works. Simple as that.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ya, what SnowHog says. "If it isn't broken then don't fix it".
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks SH and GG! That's pretty much how I feel about it--why bother upgrading basically unused machines as long as they're running okay.

BTW, the box that's still running 6.10 would have 12 years of uptime if not for the occasional power outage! When I moved back home to Southern California after living in Dallas--with its tornadoes, torrential thunderstorms, and constant power outages--I thought I was done with electricity issues. I was wrong! Southern California Edison keeps doing this thing where they inform my neighborhood about a week in advance of a planned outage for equipment upgrades. It's happened at least six times in the last five years. I don't know what happened five years ago that made them start doing this, but it sure is annoying even though I understand, and appreciate, the need for upgraded equipment. But the 12 hours or so each time is a LOT of time to kill when you have no power and are stuck at home! Anyway, if not for the electricity going out occasionally, my oldest box would easily have 12 years of uptime because it's never gone down on its own and it's been that long since I installed any new hardware in it.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Thanks SH and GG! That's pretty much how I feel about it--why bother upgrading basically unused machines as long as they're running okay?

BTW, the box that's still running 6.10 would have 12 years of uptime if not for the occasional power outage! When I moved back home to Southern California after living in Dallas--with its tornadoes, torrential thunderstorms, and constant power outages--I thought I was done with electricity issues. I was wrong! Southern California Edison keeps doing this thing where they inform my neighborhood about a week in advance of a planned outage for equipment upgrades. It's happened at least six times in the last five years. I don't know what happened five years ago that made them start doing this, but it sure is annoying even though I understand, and appreciate, the need for upgraded equipment. But the 12 hours or so each time is a LOT of time to kill when you have no power and are stuck at home! Anyway, if not for the electricity going out occasionally, my oldest box would easily have 12 years of uptime because it's never gone down on its own and it's been that long since I installed any new hardware in it.
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            Listing "malware", a generic term used as the name for all infective agents, is listed as an infective agent. It's like listing a bunch of planes but including the term "airplane" in the list.
            Ah ha! That didn't even jump out at me. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
              BTW, the box that's still running 6.10 would have 12 years of uptime if not for the occasional power outage! ....
              That brings back memories of the Windows 95 vs Linux uptime war of the 1995-2000 era. I started using Linux in 1998 and my longest uptime was 460+ days on a SuSE 6.3 server in my office. It ended when a squirrel decided to take a shortcut between two roofs via a 7Kv high tension line. I was watching him do the run when he turned into a plasma ball and landed on the ground 15' away from the power pole. The electricity in the office bldg went out. Out of curiosity I went outside and looked at the remains of the squirrel. Surprisingly, he was almost totally intact, except for a gash in his skin that went from the right front paw to the left rear paw. It looked like he had eaten too much and bloated out of his skin! And, he was pretty well cooked. He was still steaming.

Linux users were claiming 1 to 5 years in uptimes and Win95 users were making the same claim. Then, Microsoft announced a bug in their 32bit clock which caused Win95 to reboot after 49.7 days of uptime. So, all those Win95 fanboys claiming uptimes longer than that were lying.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X