X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The LINUX DISTRO model is BROKEN

Something to think about!

The distro packages the software for their users. Not the developers of the software, the distro itself. So the distro has a decent amount of control over what they offer, but the users of the distro don't, and the developers of the apps also don't. And this model doesn't really work.

On the surface, for users, it does work. You get a lot of applications from a central repo, and the system is generally pretty stable, depending on the distro you pick.
    But in the background, you have the thousands of orphaned packages that are still in the repos but aren't maintained. The old apps that can't be packaged at all anymore. The maintainers spending a lot of time repackaging and recompiling software that has already been packaged.​
    Constant change is here to stay!

Thank you for the link.

Nothing new - and can be true depending on your point of view.

That said, Nick is quite entertaining, but he doesn't always know what he is talking about (like many Linux Youtubers - and if even I can tell that, well… ).
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 06, 2023, 05:30 AM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
      ... Nick is quite entertaining, but he doesn't always know what he is talking about ...
      D'accord.

I value the forthrightness of his opinions, and how well they are expressed. On this topic he's much in favour of flatpaks, but ignores the problems.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

I enjoy most of his videos. The solution to what he sees as a "problem" isn't a solution that he would like. Apple solved it. So did Microsoft. Now, imagine if RH was the only Linux in town. A monolithic Linux. The GPL would be totally dead, RH would be copyrighted and it would be on the subscription plan for BIG $$$.

That developers abandon projects they started, or assumed, is not uncommon. Such projects are often started by rookie programmers who use them to sharpen their skills. They use their own hardware and bear all the expenses of writing the code. IOW, the code is free to the user. Once they have a saleable skill set they hire on at some company to write their code. Sometimes coders die, or retire. Or, they get bored and quit. It's part of the deal.

In Xenial there was a gui app for Systemd called systemd-ui. It allowed one to graphically control systemd and its units, sockets, timers, configs, etc. It disappeared from the repos in subsequent releases. Then, about a year ago, someone in a thread on some forum mentioned systemd_kcm. I installed it and the Systemd editor appeared in the Settings tool, at the bottom, and I could also call it from a Konsole using "kcmshell5 kcm_systemd".

I can also pay for proprietary code as well and have no qualms about doing so if the app is worth the price. That's why I own four Steam games and Minecraft.

All's well that ends well!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Since it's all about time according to that genius I wonder how many hours have been spent on snap and flatpak vs how much time is spent repackaging the small amount of programs available through them.

Comment

Working...
          X