This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel asks customers to stop using faulty patches

Yesterday, I used the Driver Manager in my linux Mint distro to update the Intel(r) Microcode.

Today, I check my normal repositories (using sudo apt-get update) and found a new set of Intel(r) Microcode...

Then I find this article:

http://www.oann.com/intel-asks-custo...aulty-patches/

Can you say "Oops"? I bet Intel(r) is saying this...

This is the same set of microcode which is labeled as "Open Source" in the Driver Manager, but I've not been able to locate said open source code... Sure, I can see the microcode files installed on my systems, but the SOURCE CODE is... obscure, invisible, etc.
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

it would seem that our Intel microcode has been downgraded to a 07/07/2017 version

intel-microcode amd64 3.20180108.0+really20170707ubuntu16.04.1
    Publishing details

Changelog

intel-microcode (3.20180108.0+really20170707ubuntu16.04.1) xenial-security; urgency=medium

* Revert to 20170707 version of microcode because of regressions on
    certain hardware.
    as to the source code ,,,you will not find it on your system you just get the built from the source code .deb

the source code is hear https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/...ntel-microcode

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Until everyone has a clear picture of what is necessary to "fix" the "features" that exist in the Intel processors, then there will be a LOT of churn among solutions.

The best solution is the same solution that has always been useful keep your system up to date with patches and other updates. And there will undoubtedly be many updates for a while - just go with it. There are a lot of very smart people working on problems that offer few clues.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Vinny, Thank you for that link. I had to dig down about four or five levels to find the actual source code for a build.

I'm not going to actually build my own package for this, but I was concerned that the claim of there being real source was in question. You answered that.
        Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

For another view on the subject:

Linus Torvalds declares Intel fix for Meltdown/Spectre ‘COMPLETE AND UTTER GARBAGE’

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/22/li...utter-garbage/

hmmmm...

Comment

Trust but verify.

Linus is one of those very smart people, but in the meantime the smart thing for you and I to do is to keep up with OS and application patches.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
            X