This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It really is this simple

Yes, it is. So, I take it that you're position on Woody (or any other), as I think it has been, is: "If you don't like what he/she/they are posting, just ignore them (put them on your Ignore List)."

It is a non-confrontational way to handle such, and one that doesn't require a KFN censure, mild or otherwise.

Your view of things is appreciated, as they often contain simple solutions to (perceived to be difficult) issues.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 17, 2018, 03:06 PM.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, thank you.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Claydoh, did you ignore *ME*?! I saw my sig and avatar in the video, but I couldn't make out much else (eyes are going from bad to worse). I'm going to assume I'm not the one being ignored, as I can't recall the last time I did something worthy of that!
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

No, it wasn't you (DoYouKubuntu).
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Okay, thanks Snowhog.
            Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
              Claydoh, did you ignore *ME*?! I saw my sig and avatar in the video, but I couldn't make out much else (eyes are going from bad to worse). I'm going to assume I'm not the one being ignored, as I can't recall the last time I did something worthy of that!
              Oh, goodness no!
              No, I just have no video editing skills and tools for such are lacking on Chrome OS was too lazy to reboot the Chromebook to linux and crop the video. Or retake the screen grab.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                Oh, goodness no!
                No, I just have no video editing skills and tools for such are lacking on Chrome OS was too lazy to reboot the Chromebook to linux and crop the video. Or retake the screen grab.
                Didn't you replace Chrome OS with Kubuntu? I did on my Chromebook. I just didn't take to that cloud-driven version of Linux it came with. I have a hard drive for a reason: I want to run and store things locally, not out in the clouds somewhere!

And I'm glad I'm not the one you ignored. I didn't THINK I'd done anything naughty!

Comment

Didn't you replace Chrome OS with Kubuntu? I did on my Chromebook. I just didn't take to that cloud-driven version of Linux it came with. I have a hard drive for a reason: I want to run and store things locally, not out in the clouds somewhere!

I can see people whose job involves working on the road a lot using "cloud storage" as a means of being able to access files and applications from any computer they have available. It has some problems, though. If an Internet connection is not available or the cloud server goes down you'd better have your files stored locally or you've wasted a trip. Cloud storage also depends on the security skills of the folks managing your cloud server. Cheap servers based in China or Russia or the Mid-East? No thanks.

Personally, IF I needed remote storage I'd purchase a Linux based US host for my personal use and use it the same way. And, I could encrypt and/or hide files and directories if necessary.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

... IF I needed remote storage I'd purchase a Linux based US host for my personal use and use it the same way.
                    It can be surprising how cheap this can be; at least, I found it so.
                    A domain, mail, website, and friendly support can be bundled for a sum much smaller than the costs of travelling.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 30, 2018, 04:24 PM.
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                      It can be surprising how cheap this can be; at least, I found it so.
                      A domain, mail, website, and friendly support can be bundled for a sum much smaller than the costs of traveling.
                      '''
                      Indeed! I'm using one that costs me $2.50/mo. From eHosts. They are offering to host for $1.99/mo on a special sale.
                      Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 30, 2018, 04:39 PM.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                        I can see people whose job involves working on the road a lot using "cloud storage" as a means of being able to access files and applications from any computer they have available. It has some problems, though. If an Internet connection is not available or the cloud server goes down you'd better have your files stored locally or you've wasted a trip. Cloud storage also depends on the security skills of the folks managing your cloud server. Cheap servers based in China or Russia or the Mid-East? No thanks.
                        Yes, I agree completely. The issues you mentioned (no Internet connection, a down server, etc.) are the ones I always argue my point with! I can only imagine being away on business and then not being able to do anything because of some problem.

Personally, IF I needed remote storage I'd purchase a Linux based US host for my personal use and use it the same way. And, I could encrypt and/or hide files and directories if necessary.
                        That's what I do with my domains, and also with DropBox. Of course, not being in the working world any more means that I can't suffer any business consequences by not having access to my files. But being the backup freak that I am, and have been for 30-ish years, I just don't feel normal if I don't have my important stuff backed up off-site.

Comment

And I'm glad I'm not the one you ignored. I didn't THINK I'd done anything naughty!
                          I do, from a USB stick, but I often use Chrome OS. I still store stuff locally, with cloud and local backup. I have to use Chrome for work purposes, and it does run smoother/better in ChromeOS than on KDE Neon with gobs of tabs open. Plus it runs Android apps, and I have a couple of these I use (the video chat app my fiance uses - my mic is not supported in Linux yet, and video from the webcam is spotty sometimes), as well as some Linux apps via Crouton (irc client, Firefox, libreoffice).

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                            I do, from a USB stick, but I often use Chrome OS. I still store stuff locally, with cloud and local backup. I have to use Chrome for work purposes, and it does run smoother/better in ChromeOS than on KDE Neon with gobs of tabs open. Plus it runs Android apps, and I have a couple of these I use (the video chat app my fiance uses - my mic is not supported in Linux yet, and video from the webcam is spotty sometimes), as well as some Linux apps via Crouton (irc client, Firefox, libreoffice).
                            Ah, that makes sense. I didn't realize that ChromeOS could run Android apps, or perhaps I knew that at some point but forgot. At any rate I love my Android devices and it would be kind of cool to run some of their apps on my Chromebook...but I'm too lazy to go back and redo it at this point! So I'll stick to my Android phone and tablet for that.

Comment

Working...
                            X