This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh nooooo, another AMT vulnerability

And this jewel doesn't require any code and takes only 30 seconds!

https://press.f-secure.com/2018/01/1...orate-laptops/

To exploit this, all an attacker needs to do is reboot or power up the target machine and press CTRL-P during bootup. The attacker then may log into Intel Management Engine BIOS Extension (MEBx) using the default password, “admin,” as this default is most likely unchanged on most corporate laptops. The attacker then may change the default password, enable remote access and set AMT’s user opt-in to “None.” The attacker can now gain remote access to the system from both wireless and wired networks, as long as they’re able to insert themselves onto the same network segment with the victim. Access to the device may also be possible from outside the local network via an attacker-operated CIRA server.
    All you need is physical access to the computer!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I tested my computer to see if that security hole existed. Using the Ctl+P combo at bootup did nothing.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

You said you didn’t know how to include an image into a post!

Comment

How do they deal with sewage? Asking for a friend.
        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

You lost me, Ed!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post

You lost me, Ed!
            Did I post in the wrong thread? It was in response to the image woodsmoke posted of the mini/micro island.

Comment

Oh, ya, I was wondering the same thing. Composting toilet? Or, they take the boat 100 m down current and use the “poop deck”?
              Fresh water? Collect rain? Enough to fill a swimming pool and fulfill basic needs?
              Electricity? Solar panels? Generator? Fuel for it?
              communications? Satellite phone & TV? (No dish!)

Island stability? Artificial? Looks like a minor earth shake could sink it.
              Deciduous trees? Planted in sand? Would have to rain every morning.

The whole thing looks photoshopped.

Comment

Ok, the thread went skewed but we need a url to the referenced thread to follow the whole story...

Where is Woodsmokes "mini/micro island" thread?

Curious minds want to know.
                Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  Oh, ya, I was wondering the same thing. Composting toilet? Or, they take the boat 100 m down current and use the “poop deck”?
                  Fresh water? Collect rain? Enough to fill a swimming pool and fulfill basic needs?
                  Electricity? Solar panels? Generator? Fuel for it?
                  communications? Satellite phone & TV? (No dish!)

Island stability? Artificial? Looks like a minor earth shake could sink it.
                  Deciduous trees? Planted in sand? Would have to rain every morning.

The whole thing looks photoshopped.
                  Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                    Ok, the thread went skewed but we need a url to the referenced thread to follow the whole story...

Where is Woodsmokes "mini/micro island" thread?

Curious minds want to know.
                    Moved, and just moved again. See https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-my-little-eye
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      Wow, can you say Hurricane Target? Or even a high tide...
                      Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Proportions seem out of whack as well.

Comment

The page it's from https://www.privateislandsonline.com...st-caye-rental

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
                            Nice sleuthing!
                            Did you use the image search function?

The resort was built in Jan of 2016. Maps show an undeveloped Island 3/4s mile south west of Palicemia. FM dish for communication & Internet.
                            I suspect the sewage is piped to the bottom of the ocean, out of sight, out of mind.
                            Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 19, 2018, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Honestly these exploits are an issue for businesses that have people coming and going, but for a home user the impact is minimal. For someone to reboot my PC, they first have to get through my front door, or a bedroom window. If they do, at that stage, I suspect they will find more interesting things to steal than than the contents of my PC>

Comment

Working...
                              X