This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW computer 1300USD

Has anyone else seen this? It features 2GB of DDR3, a 2.4Ghz Quad core celeron CPU & a senior friendly touch UI.

These specs could run Linux fairly well,but not for 1300- maybe 300.

How many seniors do you think are falling for this? It reminds me of Blue Hippo...

https://www.firststreetonline.com/El...EgI1ovD_BwE#no
    Registered Linux User 545823

Greed. In search of the almighty dollar. Plain and simple. "There's a sucker born every minute, and I'll do what ever it takes to separate them from that dollar!"
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I've seen it. I have the same impressions you have. It is just a Linux computer with a customized browser front end. Certainly not worth $1000. BUT, I'd wager that most of that price covers their support. I spent 30 minutes trying to explain how to log into Linux from the login screen. All the guy had to do was click on his name and enter his password and hit the Enter key.
      He shipped his computer to me because "it was broken". It wasn't. I set it to auto login. Then I installed Teamviewer on in default listen mode and sent it back. The next time he called I fired up Teamviewer and watches as we talked. I'd say something like "Move the mouse to the upper right corner of FireFox and left click on the "X" that you see there. He'd move his mouse to the lower left corner near the KGear. Because I could see his mouse moving I'd tell him "You are going the wrong way. THE UPPER RIGHT corner... farther up ... farther up ... there! ... now move to the right. See that "X" just an inch to the right of your mouse? Left click it... *up pops and option menu* ... Left click on it, not right click ..." and so it would go. Eventually his wife (my sister) bought him an Apple iPhone. Then she ran it for him.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

it dose not seem to say what the OS is on it ,,,,,,,,looks custom at least the UI

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Their website has a few dead links when I look for details. It does look Linux based though http://www.zdnet.com/article/a-linux...a-and-grandma/
          http://www.pawlingchamber.org/articl...mputer-seniors (I have to laugh at the guy that wrote this)
          Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	news.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	643718Click image for larger version

Name:	photos.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	643719Click image for larger version

Name:	ebay.jpg