Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the big release date for patched kernels is today. In checking the repository I see that some of the new kernels are there, but not the one I run, 4.8 for 16.04 I'm not worried. Bad guys will have to break through my router firewall and my ufw firewall (Yes, I am being redundant). Meanwhile, I'll wait till the patch comes down the pipe. The BIG question I have is "how much slower will this Acer run with the patched kernel in place?"
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Nothing for 4.10 either so far.
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Apparently, Google discovered these flaws I'm April...

I update to the mainline kernel in my fedora install, it should enable sound from my RX480 too, but it runs on a Ryzen 1700X.
        My other compuer has a Core 2 Duo Wolfdale CPU. I have Windows 7 on it, I'm going to play around with Mint though.

These flaws do need fixing, but they're not as big of deals as they are made out to be
        Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
          Nothing for 4.10 either so far.
          There won't be for 4.10 as far as I have seen.

Zesty 4.10 kernel will not be fixed as Zesty goes EOL in a few days anyway, and I read that the 4.10 HWE kernel for Xenial will get an earlier upgrade to a fixed 4.13 kernel instead.

EDIIT: here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam...treAndMeltdown

Ubuntu 17.04 and 4.10 HWE early end of life

Last edited by acheron; Jan 09, 2018, 01:40 PM.
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Update:

2018 Jan 09: Ubuntu kernel updates are made available in:

USN 3522-1 (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS),

USN 3523-1 (Ubuntu 17.10), and

USN 3522-2 (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS).
            Last edited by acheron; Jan 09, 2018, 05:40 PM.
            On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
              There won't be for 4.10 as far as I have seen.

Zesty 4.10 kernel will not be fixed as Zesty goes EOL in a few days anyway, and I read that the 4.10 HWE kernel for Xenial will get an earlier upgrade to a fixed 4.13 kernel instead.

EDIIT: here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam...treAndMeltdown
              Thank you for clarifying!
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

So I downloaded a script to check for Spectre and Meltdown - and ran it.
                Code:
                john@John-Desktop:/tmp$ sudo sh spectre-meltdown-checker.sh 
                Spectre and Meltdown mitigation detection tool v0.21 

Checking for vulnerabilities against live running kernel Linux 4.4.0-104-generic #127-Ubuntu SMP Mon D
                ec 11 12:16:50 UTC 2017 i686 **************************************************************************

CVE-2017-5753 [bounds check bypass] aka 'Spectre Variant 1' 
                * Checking count of LFENCE opcodes in kernel: *YES *(745 opcodes found, which is >= 70) 
                > STATUS: *NOT VULNERABLE *(heuristic to be improved when official patches become available) 

CVE-2017-5715 [branch target injection] aka 'Spectre Variant 2' 
                * Mitigation 1 
                * **Hardware (CPU microcode) support for mitigation: *NO *
                * **Kernel support for IBRS: *NO *
                * **IBRS enabled for Kernel space: *NO *
                * **IBRS enabled for User space: *NO *
                * Mitigation 2 
                * **Kernel compiled with retpoline option: *NO *
                * **Kernel compiled with a retpoline-aware compiler: *NO *
                > STATUS: *VULNERABLE *(IBRS hardware + kernel support OR kernel with retpoline are needed to mitigate
                the vulnerability) 

CVE-2017-5754 [rogue data cache load] aka 'Meltdown' aka 'Variant 3' 
                * Kernel supports Page Table Isolation (PTI): *NO *
                * PTI enabled and active: *NO *
                > STATUS: *VULNERABLE *(PTI is needed to mitigate the vulnerability) 

A false sense of security is worse than no security at all, see --disclaimer
                Kinda what I expected, based on what the discussions are saying.

So after getting the latest kernel and rebooting, I ran it again.
                Code:
                john@John-Desktop:/tmp$ sudo sh spectre-meltdown-checker.sh
                [sudo] password for john: 

Checking for vulnerabilities against live running kernel Linux 4.4.0-108-generic #131-Ubuntu SMP Sun Jan 7 14:33:55 UTC 2018 i686

* Checking count of LFENCE opcodes in kernel:  YES  (745 opcodes found, which is >= 70)
                > STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (heuristic to be improved when official patches become available)

* Mitigation 1
                *   Hardware (CPU microcode) support for mitigation:  NO 
                *   Kernel support for IBRS:  NO 
                *   IBRS enabled for Kernel space:  NO 
                *   IBRS enabled for User space:  NO 
                * Mitigation 2
                *   Kernel compiled with retpoline option:  NO 
                *   Kernel compiled with a retpoline-aware compiler:  NO 
                > STATUS:  VULNERABLE  (IBRS hardware + kernel support OR kernel with retpoline are needed to mitigate the vulnerability)

* Kernel supports Page Table Isolation (PTI):  NO 
                * PTI enabled and active:  NO 
                > STATUS:  VULNERABLE  (PTI is needed to mitigate the vulnerability)

No change. So I'm confused ... not the first time mind you, but I sort of expected something to be different. Not worried, after all this condition has been around a very long time, just puzzled.
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

ya I got a different result ,,,,,,,,with the
                  Code:
                  vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ uname -a
                  Linux vinny-Bonobo-Extreme 4.13.0-25-generic #29~16.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 9 12:16:39 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                  I just got tonight

Code:
                  vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~/Documents/testing/spector,meltdown/spectre-meltdown-checker$ sudo sh spectre-meltdown-checker.sh 
                  [sudo] password for vinny: 

Checking for vulnerabilities against live running kernel Linux 4.13.0-25-generic #29~16.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 9 12:16:39 UTC 2018 x86_64

* Checking count of LFENCE opcodes in kernel:  NO  (only 42 opcodes found, should be >= 70)
                  > STATUS:  VULNERABLE  (heuristic to be improved when official patches become available)

* Mitigation 1
                  *   Hardware (CPU microcode) support for mitigation:  NO 
                  *   Kernel support for IBRS:  NO 
                  *   IBRS enabled for Kernel space:  NO 
                  *   IBRS enabled for User space:  NO 
                  * Mitigation 2
                  *   Kernel compiled with retpoline option:  NO 
                  *   Kernel compiled with a retpoline-aware compiler:  NO 
                  > STATUS:  VULNERABLE  (IBRS hardware + kernel support OR kernel with retpoline are needed to mitigate the vulnerability)

* Kernel supports Page Table Isolation (PTI):  YES 
                  * PTI enabled and active:  YES 
                  > STATUS:  NOT VULNERABLE  (PTI mitigates the vulnerability)

it seems that only 'Variant 3' got patched ,,,so far ?

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Good description of the status of kernel patching (as of Saturday 6 JAN):

http://kroah.com/log/blog/2018/01/06/meltdown-status/

Comment

I'll be watching for more kernel updates over the next few weeks, as recommended in the article. It's just strange that an update to one of the "stable" kernels came out but changed nothing. This situation has existed for a very long time, so I guess a couple more weeks won't be a problem.
                      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
                        Good description of the status of kernel patching (as of Saturday 6 JAN):

http://kroah.com/log/blog/2018/01/06/meltdown-status/
                        From that article:
                        This means that the latest 4.14 release (4.14.12 at this moment in time), is what you should be running.
                        If you rely on any other kernel tree other than 4.4, 4.9, or 4.14 right now, and you do not have a distribution supporting you, you are out of luck.
                        It seems that 4.9 is not in the repository and my NVidia is usings 4.8, which won't be patched. The gcp and azure kernels don't apply to my situation. There is no 4.14 kernel I can use. So, I am OOL with my 4.8 kernel in Neon User Edition. Unless, of course, I try the 4.14.13 kernel from git.kernel.org
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Something of a goat rope, with a little bit of cat herding thrown in for good measure.

No blame being directed at the devs because whether it's karma or coincidence or unfortunate timing, they've had to jump hoops, too. I'm thankful for their hard work, and will just focus on solutions as they are pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                            From that article:

It seems that 4.9 is not in the repository and my NVidia is usings 4.8, which won't be patched. The gcp and azure kernels don't apply to my situation. There is no 4.14 kernel I can use. So, I am OOL with my 4.8 kernel in Neon User Edition. Unless, of course, I try the 4.14.13 kernel from git.kernel.org
                            But, in reality, the true likliehood that 'you' are at any risk is slim at worst, and non-existant at best.
                            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                              But, in reality, the true likliehood that 'you' are at any risk is slim at worst, and non-existant at best.
                              True. That's why I'm not concerned about it, especially since the perps would have to break through a firewall to get to the kernel. And, if they got in they'd find nothing. Ransom? Btrfs rollback. Personal info? Nothing the Feds don't already have.
                              So, basically, I don't care.
                              And, your comments about the devs I agree with 1000%

Comment

I found this article today:

Intel Releases Processor Microcode Patch for Linux OSes, Here's How to Update

http://news.softpedia.com/news/intel...e-519316.shtml

The instructions are moderately technical and if you don't feel comfortable doing this, then perhaps find someone you trust to do it...

DO NOTE that it is specific to Linux. I assume a comparable set of instructions exist for Windows(r), but frankly, I don't care.

I'm NOT ready to attempt this at this point, but acknowledge that it may be a necessary update for some CPU's.

I will wait to see if this comes down via a normal OS patch from the repositories. Since some testing will be needed, don't expect this to happen overnight...
                                Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Working...
                                X