This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting read from a dev who moved to Linux

Found this link on G+ and thought it worth a share. The joy, in the author's eyes, that comes from taking that first step in understanding the power of Linux makes it a read I think many here may relate to and enjoy. Happy New Year everyone here at KF!

24 Things I’ve Learned As A Software Developer Living On Ubuntu For A Weekish
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Good read!

Comment

I like #10: Have a Cheat-Sheet. I've always done this, for commands, for GRUB, for UEFI, for KDE, for settings, and for setting up Kubuntu (w/apps).
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
        I like #10: Have a Cheat-Sheet. I've always done this, for commands, for GRUB, for UEFI, for KDE, for settings, and for setting up Kubuntu (w/apps).
        +1 to that!

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
          +1
          The older I get and the fuzzier my memory becomes a cheat-sheet has become a necessity. I keep them posted on the wall next to me.

Over all, that was the most even handed article on the strengths and weaknesses of Linux that I've ever read. Spot on 99.99% of the time.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

"Cheat Sheets" [re:Memory Aids] are an invaluable tool. I use them. Trusting ones memory is akin to representing oneself in a trial; you have a fool for a lawyer!

Einstein didn't bother to memorize information that could be found in reference resources he had, or knew where to look for. One simply doesn't have to 'remember it all'.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

An old mentor of mine used to say:
              There's two kinds of knowledge, knowing it, and knowing where to find it.
              I thought --and still think-- that to be very wise. And these days with the Internet at your fingertips, almost any knowledge can be found.

Another thought or two on the matter:

If it isn't written down, it's not going to happen.
              or it's inverse,
              if it isn't written down, it never happened.
              Last edited by SpecialEd; Jan 01, 2018, 06:25 PM.
              If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                Over all, that was the most even handed article on the strengths and weaknesses of Linux that I've ever read. Spot on 99.99% of the time.
                That's exactly why I thought our community would appreciate it. It's OK to love Linux whilst still being a pragmatist. In fact, I believe it solidifies that love in the long run.
                ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                K*Digest Blog
                K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                  ... And these days with the Internet at your fingertips, almost any knowledge can be found.

I depend a lot on the availability of the Internet, especially with my iPhone, which is always with me and always turned on. I have many sites bookmarked. My only problem is remembering that I have them bookmarked.

Before my experience with Aspartame poisoning my memory was instantaneous and dependable. I didn't have to look it up. I instantly remembered everything I had previously learned. I realized that I had that ability when I took chemistry in HS, the first class that really drew my interest in HS. I did every problem in the text book and could remember how to solve it and what the answer was. Even with that ability, in grad school there was a group of classmates who were an order of magnitude above me in mental ability. As a teacher that ability was invaluable. As a programmer I wrote dozens of applications for dozens of clients. When one called because of a problem I could scroll the particular program he/she was referring to in my mind and read it like it was on paper in front of me, and remember the changes I'd recommend for that particular client.

The problem of "knowing where to find it" assumes one has access to the locations where such information is stored. Except for the Library of Congress and a few libraries in academia, most libraries are sources of outdated knowledge, unless one is a history teacher. For recent or current information and data that leaves the Internet. IF it is down, or goes down, one is forever ignorant until access is restored. Then, you'll wish you "knew it".
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                  X