This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Sony just crazy ... or evil?

When you configure a network connection you often put 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 into the DNS section. They both do EXACTLY the same thing, translate a domain name to an an IP address and send that address back to your browser. Both also track and store your activity and personal infor as well in order to generate income from it. Another service, Quad9, also offers a free DNS service as well, 9.9.9.9. The only difference is that as a Swiss entity, and by their own ToS, they cannot and will not track you or collection information about you.

Here is where it gets whacked. Sony is claiming that Quad9 is a "doer of evil" and is stealing Sony's Intellectual Property. They are suing Quad9. If Quad9 is doing evil so is Cloudshare and Google, but Sony is not suing them. Is Sony acting as a proxy for Google and Cloudshare and other corporate DNS services in an attempt to shutdown the increasingly popular Quad9? Personally, I've purchased and own a lot of Sony products, but not any more. Their products are off my list until they stop being a "doer of evil".

https://odysee.com/@NaomiBrockwell:4/Sony-v-internet:e
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    ...1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 into the DNS section. They both do EXACTLY the same thing...
    While they do the same thing, they're not the same for some users. 8.8.8.8 for me resolves to a data centre in Sydney, with about a 32 ms ping time. At work 1.1.1.1 resolves to somewhere much closer, perhaps in the same data centre as the ISP, with a ping of a fraction of a millisecond. At home the ping time is dominated by the ping to the router, 4 ms, and tracepath suggests 1.1.1.1 is in the same data centre as my ISP again.

So, 1.1.1.1 is faster, particularly for bloated web sites with hundreds of different domains.

Regards, John Little

Comment

I am in a similar situation: I prefer 1.0.0.1 or 1.1.1.1 - they are just a little bit faster than 8.8.8.8 most of the time (and I don't like to use any of Google's services anyway).
      But unfortunately 9.9.9.9 takes about twice as long, so I don't use it neither…
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
      X