X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux Journal ceases publication

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...es-publication

It started in 1994. I switched to Linux in 1998 and I'd go to Barns & Nobel to pick up a copy every month.

Later I switched to Linux Format: https://www.linuxformat.com
    because it had more recent CDROM's of distros bound to the cover and the articles were better. My connection was too slow at the time to download 800Mb of ISO in a timely manner, especially if it timed out.

But, as time passed, my bandwidth increased, Internet articles were more recent and printed articles became stale history. I could find information that was more recent and relevant on the Internet and I stopped buying printed periodicals. It's the same reason why other periodicals and newspapers are dying.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

They all eventually will do that. When PC World did that I tried switching to their digital subscription but at that time I had slow ISP and it just wasn't the same. Google most things now anyway.

Comment

I did read, for those interested, that you can download the entire archive covering the history of the publication all the way to the last issue (Nov 2017) for for free (707 MB download):

https://secure2.linuxjournal.com/pdf/dljdownload.php

Lots of comments asking for the ability to donate, but it appears it's too little, too late. R.I.P.
      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

dequire, thanks for the link.

I downloaded the archive (707MB). It extracts to 905MB and is a browse-able web document with all issues from 1994-2017.
        I have many hours of reading in my library now.

Thanks again.
        Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Downloading it now.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ditto for me
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

me too! Downloading now!

Comment

I'm at work, darn it. Will grab when I get home
                we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                -- anais nin

Comment

...Aaaaannnnnnnnndddddddd it's back from the dead

Happy New Year- Welcome to Linux Journal 2.0!

K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                    ...Aaaaannnnnnnnndddddddd it's back from the dead

Happy New Year- Welcome to Linux Journal 2.0!
                    So I read, and I downloaded the archive last week, all 700+ Mb of it. A trip down memory lane...

Comment

I'm going to give those Private Internet Access folks some of my cash, as (1) I need a new VPN - was using HideMyAss for years, but now owned by Cisco, so there's that, and (2) They seem to be really free-software friendly.
                      K*Digest Blog
                      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Ya, what Cisco says is opposite of what they do. It was their greedy attempt to install NSA spyware that inspired me to install DD-WRT over their firmware and lock them out of my router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X