X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riot.im/Matrix - A succesor to IRC

I think this application is great. Riot.im is a client for Matrix

Riot is chat client that offers increased functionality over IRC like video and voice calling. Inline multimedia. Their rooms can also aggregate (if that is the right term for this) other communications methods like github news, rss feeds, twitter feeds and best of all for the purpose of my point, can bridge seamlessly to an IRC channel. You can also access unbridged rooms like a normal IRC client on a variety. The interface is more modern than IRC clients though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	riot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	649253

In this window, I have the #kubuntu IRC channel open. There is a list of other rooms on the left, that are on the matrix service. Including a KDE one which is synced up perfectly to their IRC channel. You can also see it has a "friends" list and can also be used as a personal messenger,

IRC in technology years is very old now and the interfaces are very outdated and the kind of thing that is intimidating to new users. I sigh a bit at it's use as one of the ways to get tech support for linux related stuff. Though I understand if people that set this up will aim for something they are more comfortable with.

This seems to be a great solution though, a modern multi platform interface that people can get to the exact same help without any sort of disruption.

What server do you have selected in riot.im? I can’t find #kubuntu on either the default server or using the Freenode server.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It's from the Freenode server. So, the search in the directory listing looks like...

Click image for larger version

Name:	riot2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	643683

Comment

Going to give this a try. Looks excellent, and it's open sauce (code is on GitHub). Now if there was a Discord plugin I'd be in heaven. Thanks for posting.
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
        X