X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vpn

So who @hear uses a VPN ?

from what I can gather the good ones are Openvpn used with a payed subscription to a server , with "ExpressVPN and AirVPN" being the top 2

is it worth it ,,,, why ,,,,if you use one ,,,,which one ,,and what is the cost $ ,,and are the free ones any good ?

curious Vin is at it again

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Private Internet Access. They support many f/oss and other projects like Freenode irc, the EFF, etc. They have clients for just about everything, and have plenty of servers worldwide.
    I use it as needed for the usual things VPNs are used for (I am a long time cable cutter and won't pay for some streaming services just for one show -- I am looking at you, CBS All Access!), except for accessing KFN as our security stuff does not like popular VPN ips it seems, sometimes.

I have used PIA for years now. It runs 40 dollars a year. I have it on my phone, my laptop, my PC, my Chromebooks, and is most used on my android TV box w/Kodi. On Android at least you can select to enable or disable it per app, so that Netflix will still work without having to constantly enable/disable it as you use different things.

I would not recommend a free one, you don't really know what they really are doing (but do you, even with a good one?) and are usually slow and unreliable.

There are 12999577399002 lists of the "best" VPN providers, with 12999577399002 different answers. Reviews are often crap, paid advertising. Word of mouth and some research to filter out the BS search results brought me to PIA.

I have a VPS now, so I probably will check out running my own openVPN server in the future.
    Last edited by claydoh; Sep 29, 2017, 06:43 PM.

Comment

An interesting discussion about the differences between Tor, VPN and a Proxy.

The VPN administrator KNOWS who and where you are and who you are connected to. Trust him?

With Tor you are the only one who knows who you are and who you are connecting with. Tor through a VPN is both anonymous and secure, but slower than VPN alone.

I've tried them all, and all the P2P technologies as well, but don't use any of them.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I use BTGuard and have been pretty happy with it. It works. A bit slow but not as slow as TOR. I've heard good things about PIA too. About the same costs as PIA, IIRC. Most of them have a short free-trial period.
        Last edited by SpecialEd; Sep 29, 2017, 07:54 PM. Reason: Added info.
        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

@claydoh that PIA looks good ,,,reasonably priced and say they offer the looked for things ,,,,no logging , plenty of servers such ,,,thanks for the tip.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

+1 for PIA. That's what I use.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
            X