This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Moon by 2022 - amazing presentation by Elon Musk

and anywhere on Earth in less than 30 minutes. The BFR (Big Friendly Rocket )!!!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I keep hearing about private funded flights to Mars and plans on how to get there. I believe our first step is the Moon and a manned underground base there. I have viewed enough documentaries to know a surface base will not survive. The Moon lacking any atmosphere makes meteor impacts greater and most severe to any structure on the surface. A network of satellites could keep some meteors at bay by knocking them away from the Moon.

Now a little trivia about our Moon you probably didn't know. While Europeans looked up long ago and saw a face on the Moon, the Asians looked up and saw a rabbit. The Moon Rabbit in folklore is a rabbit that lives on the Moon, seen pounding the ingredients for his rice cakes. The Chinese sent a lunar rover up December 2013, was named "Jade Rabbit". Japanese festivals honoring the autumn moon called Otsukimi (moon watching) takes place during the fall full moon and is celebrated with decorations and and eating rice dumplings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rabbit_in_the_moon_standing_by_pot.png
Views:	1
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	643639

Comment

I have a good friend who teaches at a university in Beijing. My friend relates a lot about Chinese culture and loves it there, but no mention has ever been made of that aspect of Chinese mythology. Thanks, Simon!

I agree with you that Lunar bases on the surface would not survive very long, that's why they will be built, when they are built, underground, and probably near the poles so that solar collectors can maximize exposure to the Sun.

One of the greatest disappointments in my life is the realization that even after almost 50 years of space flight man does not yet have a permanent lunar base. Even the ISS is a haphazardly designed pile of junk, IMO.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
        The Moon lacking any atmosphere makes meteor impacts greater and most severe to any structure on the surface.
        I thought the worst problem is solar flares. A direct hit would fry (er, lethal dose of radiation) anyone on the surface.

Regards, John Little
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          I thought the worst problem is solar flares. A direct hit would fry (er, lethal dose of radiation) anyone on the surface.

Regards, John Little
          The Moon passes behind the Earth and benefits from the Earth's magnetosphere for certain times each month. And, there are times when the "back side" of the Moon faces the Sun and the mass of the Moon shields the near side. When and how long lunar explorers can remain on the surface are computed and are part of the preparations of establishing a Lunar base.

Comment

Come on you guys, you all know the aliens have a base on the dark side and would never let us stay there...

...don't you?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              Come on you guys, you all know the aliens have a base on the dark side and would never let us stay there...

...don't you?
              Those twins setting in the black SUV with dark tinted windows outside your house watching you are not from the NSA ..... *cue spooky music *

Comment

Working...
              X