This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is it.....

YOU...and hundreds or well...ok...dozens...well ok a few...

people

SPENT YEARS SCREWING WITH Kmail NOT CONNECTING to IMAP accounts and Google?

I RANTED AT KDE FORUMS AND HERE...

AND GUESS WHAT...

WITHIN THREE DAYS...

the problem OF YEARS...was suddenly...resolved...

WHAT?

THAT IS JUST CRA%

THE DEVS FIXED in the space of three days...a problem that had PLAGUED people for YEARS...

The DEVS do NOT care about YOU...

The DEVS are just "doing stuff" because the like "doing stuff"...

In Windblows world those people are PAID IN CASH...

In "free open source / Linux / Ubuntu" world those people are PAID IN LOCAL ADULATION...

"local" being at a conference in California...ummm not...Brazil or Kansas...or on the Isle of Mann.

GET THIS STRAIGHT...

The DEVS could CARE LESS ABOUT YOU...

The ONLY PEOPLE who actually care about YOU as a Kubuntu user are...

a) a fellow by the name of Riddel...you should look him up if you have not or you should just go to Windlows or GNOME...
    b) people who are CLOSELY aligned with Riddel.
    c) the LONG TIME people HERE at Kubuntu...

and...

if you have not physically donated MONEY to Kubuntu then you should ABSENT yourself and go to #!...

of course...those people don't have a CLUE about anything that is beyond their nosebag...so the #! people don't need to worry about a huge influx of people...

If YOU ARE NOT ACTIVLY CONTRIBUTING THEN well...spend money on a Microsth lappy and install all kinds of toolbars

The above is no endorsed by any grey people or any other people who have a clue or any associate of Gertrude( the dragon who cleans out the levels below here).

[img]
    http://images6.fanpop.com/image/answ...03_320_240.jpg
    [/img]

woodistireofthecra##olasmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Sep 20, 2017, 12:12 AM.

Chill out Woodsmoke. Your high priority bugs are not everyone else's. Every project has a long list of bugs that are probably easy to fix but have a lower priority than other things.

Comment

I don't think that they took only days, and I'll bet money it had little to do with a semi-intelligible forum post.

For what it is worth I've not had any problems with any of my imap accounts or gmail or my Google accounts in many years.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe more to the point - rants and unintelligible forum posts have never solved ANY software issues. Nor does anger at persons who owe you nothing and who have the right to prioritize their projects - and lives - as they see fit.

However, well researched and documented bug reports, donations to projects one is interested in, assistance in troubleshooting, and volunteering skills and effort, HAVE solved software issues.

So in conclusion; help out in some or any way possible, or wait it out. In other words: Put up or Shut up.

Please Read Me

Comment

ya G-Mail has worked for a looooong time ,,,,,, but I quit setting it up in Kmail ,,,or using Kmail at all ,,,,,I just do not see the point .

it works just fine in the web browser ,,,,so why have an app wasting time scanning and watching a ,,,,web address ?

if some one can explane the advantage to useing it for G-Mail ,,,pleas elaborate .

AND woody ,,,,,,NO MORE SKY JUICE ,,,,,1 month .

your cut off

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I've used KMail as my client email since 2002 and KMail was/is faultless. My gmail account was used as my main account and all email to it was pop3 forwarded to my local ISP to which I had connected KMail. The email was deleted from GMail when it was forwarded and deleted from my local ISP email server when I downloaded it and read it. I used my local email address only for family and special friends. KMail does everything I want it to do, faultlessly.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              ya G-Mail has worked for a looooong time ,,,,,, but I quit setting it up in Kmail ,,,or using Kmail at all ,,,,,I just do not see the point .

it works just fine in the web browser ,,,,so why have an app wasting time scanning and watching a ,,,,web address ?

if some one can explane the advantage to useing it for G-Mail ,,,pleas elaborate .

AND woody ,,,,,,NO MORE SKY JUICE ,,,,,1 month .

your cut off

VINNY
              All your mail is in one place and you get notified of new messages. I personally hate keeping a tab open for mail. I use Tutanota for secure messaging and I often forget to login onllne to check it. I think they are working on sending notifications to your other email(s). But then again, I have been using Thunderbird longer then I can remember and have always been happy with it.
              If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

I have multiple email accounts, both gmail and personal, so one place for many things is useful for this.
                I have used Kontact since at least 2002, but it has NOT always been rosy. The first KDE3 version in my distro had a nasty bug that deleted *all* the messages. Pre-release for 12.04 was scary, we almost didn't get it working in a (sort of) usable state before release. The frustration is understandable.

Devs at the application level and at the distro level need *us* to find and report problems. Not all use cases are known, not all server or service setups are identical, and at the distro level the devs, being the terminal junkies that they are, don't use a gui for things like email or irc and need user input.

Think of it as a way to pay for all this free stuff we get. Sure we nay have to learn to do a few debugging things, but it is worth it.

tl;dr, as already mentioned:
                put up or shut up

Comment

Hi
                  Thanks for the reply.
                  Kmail worked for precisely two days and then I got the blue screen of death ( oh sorry, the "Kmail failed to transport" information bubble of death).
                  And all this time, Thunderbird is handling that account and two new Outlook 360 (tm) college accounts that Kmail can't seem to access.
                  woodsmoke

Comment

For clarification, what is Kmail running on? Kubuntu (version), KDE Neon (User / Developer version), or ?
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I really think if every project's page had a clear road-map of it's goals and fixes targeted for the next 12 months people would be much more likely to donate. Also, the concept of "bug bounties for cash" really should be more of a formal thing...A quick search for KDE Pim and Kontact lists the "Official" Kontact home page as the Userbase Page! (https://userbase.kde.org/Kontact) so no donations today specifically for you, KDE office suite, as there's no "donate" section to be found.

--

Kontact is a special beast because it's a complete and complex suite that's been around for a VERY long time. We have decade's worth of contributors working to fix and shape code they never originally wrote and of course, at some point, you get the "too many cooks spoil the meal" effect. Or the "WTF is this code and what were they thinking" moments. I remember ML discussions in the KDE 4 days about simply abandoning Konact all together, as it was deemed too hard to work on because of poorly-written, poorly-documented, and complex / broken code. Many thought scrapping the whole thing and starting over from scratch would be a much less painful way going forward. Combine that with a reliance at the time of KDE's hated indexing subsystem that, back then, was causing all kinds of havoc across users and echoed across the web, and it's probably a testament to the open source community as a whole that it even survived.

If we, as Plasma users, decide that Kontact / KMail needs to be a thing, it's up to us to see it to where we want it. So typical of Linux and open source, there's a dearth of email applications out there. Thunderbird is the VLC of email clients because it's mature and tested, and generally just "works" and is feature-rich, with a healthy extensions library working to fill in the gaps. There's also Geary, Evolution, Kube (coming), Claws, and tons more. Not to mention the KDE email app trojita, which is almost never mentioned ever anywhere, any likely dying a slow death. So many options...

I use Thunderbird because I have, over the years, had many headaches and heartbreaks with KMail. And even if I wanted to use it now for work-related emails, and it worked without nary a hitch, my intense fear would be that a future update would wreck it again. I would love to use it - but I have no such fears with Thunderbird.
                      Last edited by dequire; Dec 24, 2017, 12:42 AM.
                      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                      K*Digest Blog
                      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                      X