X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hewelett Packard is almost as predatory as Microsith

I have a HP OfficeJet 6800

Because I am in another room and see something on my cell phone I print it, wirelessly, from my phone so...the printer 'talks to MOMMA".

A perfectly innocent scanner printer, supported by "Linux"...suddenly ...last week said that the "purply" that is "magenta" cartridge is "damaged"...

EXQUEEZE ME...

I do not print in color all that much because purchased the printer to produce a high quality image of me doing stuff so that I could send the physical image to my grand kids with a physical (snail mail) letter...

Last week the "magenta" is suddenly "damaged" "one or more cartridges appear to be damaged or missing"...

LOOK IT UP it is always the "magenta" cartridge...

The cartridge was purchased as Office Max, it is BRAND NEW...

HP does not "support" Linux...it does not "support" ANYBODY...

It is alla bout the useful idiots...

saying ...oh...i need to buy a new printer...

I am going to take the thing to a local honky tonk and buy booze for the bar and smash the thing into pieces with a wood splitting maul.

And I am going to purchase a Cannon.

Linux people need to get their heads out of their a%% and get a clue .

AND...

THE DEVS COULD CARE LESS ABOUT YOU ALSO...

not "Kubuntu people" but...DEVS.,...you are just a useful idiot for them to brag about at conferences on the Isle of Mann

As usual, you're totally off base. I rarely comment on your rants, but they're getting tiresome.

First of all, this usually happens when you use aftermarket cartridges. This would not be HP's fault.

I've been using printers of various brands with computers since 1977. These are complex machines that require high-level processing and mechanical movement and sometimes they break-down or just break. Same can be said of thousands of other types of similarly complex products. In my experience, HP printers are the easiest to install using Linux and are generally extremely reliable. My last two prior HP printers lasted well beyond their usefulness. My current HP 8600 Pro does an amazing job, is frugal with ink, does 2-sided anything (scan, print, fax, copy), works from our cell phones, all our computers (Linux, Windows, and OSX), and out tablets. It cost me $300 and is a bargain considering it's functionality. My previous HP printer - about a decade ago, I paid $300 then too - for an HP 3000 series (I think). The scanner tube finally started to go, I had broken a hinge and the auto-sheet feeder extension (my fault) but it still worked. I decided it was better to replace it, even though it was repairable.

Maybe the problem is you're buying the bottom-tier printers and skimping on the ink cartridges. Nothing wrong with that, but there's a big difference between cost vs. value. A printer that cost twice as much but lasts 4 times longer is a better value. Penny wise, pound foolish. You get what you pay for.

HP has always - at least as long as I've been using Linux - provided tools and drivers or Linux. They even have a page: http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html. I have an HP icon in my system tray. The claim they don't "support" Linux is totally baseless. Even if they don't, what does that have to do with a broken cartridge? That's a ridiculous and illogical leap.

Finally, no one knows who the "Linux people" are you keep ranting about, nor what "devs" you're referring to. The printer cartridge devs? Do they live on the "Isle of Mann" (sic)?

Here's a suggestion: If you bought your printer at Office Max, go complain to them. If it's out of warranty, I doubt you'll get any satisfaction, but at least you'll be in the right place to file a complaint. Then, rather than spending money and time at the bar, go find a Buddhist temple and learn to meditate and study the Four Noble Truths. Then and only then, go buy your Canon printer. Good luck with it...

...and have fun smashing the HP.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      As usual, you're totally off base. I rarely comment on your rants, but they're getting tiresome.

... Then, rather than spending money and time at the bar, go find a Buddhist temple and learn to meditate and study the Four Noble Truths. Then and only then, go buy your Canon printer. Good luck with it...

Thank you Master for your teaching.
      If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
        Thank you Master for your teaching.
        Hmmm, can't tell if you're trying to be funny or taking a jab at me...

...either way, I can take it.

Please Read Me

Comment

I've been using an HP printer of one model or another for the last 10-12 years, and they have been very well supported.
          I am currently using an HP 1606dn duplex laser printer. For the last couple of weeks I have been getting a "low toner" msg and I'd take the cartridge out and shake it and then put it back in. It would resume printing.

Yesterday over 450 packages were updated. Today, when I wanted to print out a contract, the printer "could not be found". The update had broken the configuration and when I tried to install it I was given the msg "Do you want to download and disable Smart Control?". I selected "yes" and the installation routine broke. I used hp-doctor to see what the problem was. So, I got my replacement HP toner box and replaced the HP Toner for my printer. I've never used off-brand (cheap) toners and my printer has not malfunctioned once in seven years while consuming 3 previous toner cartridges. With the new toner cartridge the re-installation went off without a hitch and it prints beautifully.

I also, in the distant past, had an HP Desktop 1510 MFP which ran well with Linux but it didn't print color photos as well as I had wished, so I retired it to the garage, to be retrieved only when I needed to scan documents. Before that I had a Samsung ML-1210 Laser (not duplex) which, over a period of a few years, had a few jams but on the whole printed very well. The only reason I got rid of it was that it wasn't a duplex printer like the 1606dn.

IMO, HP supports Linux very well, at least for the printers I chose to use.
          [#]HP-Printer support[/#]
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I had a laser Samsung ML-something-or-other to print black-and-white back when inkjet cartridges were super expensive. The laser cartridges printing like 5000 pages and were cheaper than the inkjet cartridges by almost half. By the time it died, I didn't need it any longer.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hmmm, can't tell if you're trying to be funny or taking a jab at me...

...either way, I can take it.
              A little funny, also serious, but in no way a jab. Reasoned logic always trumps "the sound of one jaw flapping."

Comment

I had a laser Samsung ML-something-or-other to print black-and-white back when inkjet cartridges were super expensive. The laser cartridges printing like 5000 pages and were cheaper than the inkjet cartridges by almost half. By the time it died, I didn't need it any longer.
                That HP printer was the one I used the least. It lasted about a month. I burned through an entire NEW set of color ink cartridges just trying to get a single decent photo of my grandson and I printed. That's when I retired it.

In the past I've used Cannon and Epson line printers and ink jet printers. That was during the 1980 - 2000 period. When Cannon put burn-out wires in their ink cartridges to prevent people from purchasing bulk ink and re-filling the ink cartridges that is when I dropped them. That, and the fact that at the time they didn't support Linux at all. I don't know if they do or not now.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                  A little funny, also serious, but in no way a jab. Reasoned logic always trumps "the sound of one jaw flapping."
                  Well, in that case: Namaste

Please Read Me

Comment

a Buddhist temple and learn to meditate and study the Four Noble Truths. Then and only then, go buy your Canon printer. Good luck with it...

"Namaste "
                    in Hinduism it means "I bow to the divine in you".
                    are we crossing our religions/belief systems ...

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Jeez, this brings up memories, mostly uncomfortable ones ... like a bunch of misguided, fake-spiritualist, doped 1960's hippies "first" bringing that word--Namaste--to the public (USA)! Now and then it revives itself, as seen on ... license plates, bumper stickers, and such.
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                        "Namaste "

are we crossing our religions/belief systems ...

VINNY
                        Hinduism isn't a language. Namaste comes from Sanskrit, a language shared by many Indian religions. And the thing about Buddhism is you can be any faith, or no faith, and still practice Buddhism. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                          Jeez, this brings up memories, mostly uncomfortable ones ... like a bunch of misguided, fake-spiritualist, doped 1960's hippies "first" bringing that word--Namaste--to the public (USA)! Now and then it revives itself, as seen on ... license plates, bumper stickers, and such.
                          Sorry to have dredged up what must have been an unpleasant time for you. However, IMO the co-opting of an ancient and meaningful phrase and gesture by a fad culture does nothing to diminish it's true meaning.

In Hindi (the language rather than the religion - which is I'm sure what Vinny meant), Vinny has the meaning correct, but in most cultures it more simply is a respectful greeting or salutation said or gestured at meeting or departing.

For my self, I learned the word and gesture from my spiritual mentors and teachers when I studied Buddhism, meditation, and yoga. The gesture (depending on culture, usually hands pressed palms-together over the heart with fingers pointing upward toward the chin) itself pre-dates most written languages as the pose has been identified in excavated terra-cotta statues from 3500-3000 BC.

Special Ed paid me respect by thanking me and acknowledging my attempt to educate or offer a solution to the OP rather than just criticizing the post. So I offered a respectful valediction in return. That is all it was...

...Now back to our regularly scheduled forum banter

Please Read Me

Comment

BTW, in case anyone still cares, in my experience one of the primary functions of Buddhism is to understand suffering - it's sources and causes. Woody is clearly suffering over his printer issue. So I offered the Four Noble Truths:
                            • The truth of suffering
                            • The truth of the origin of suffering
                            • The truth of the cessation of suffering
                            • The truth of the path to the cessation of suffering

In practice, this path takes many lifetimes. However, applied in smaller doses to daily life, one may find a nugget of peace in an otherwise hectic and disappointing world.

Please Read Me

Comment

>>>>>>> IMO the co-opting of an ancient and meaningful phrase and gesture by a fad culture does nothing to diminish it's true meaning. >>>>>>
                              Certain terms become very "marketable". Such as Namaste, Zen, Holistic, etc., etc. Just look in the aisles of your grocery store.

Comment

Working...
                              X