Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HTML5 Speed Test - check the 'Details' button when you are done.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incredible!
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Congrats, enjoy!
      If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Well, the Allo tech just left and I've been playing with my shiny new 100Mbps Internet connection. Here is the speed test:
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]7179[/ATTACH]
        OMG that is Awesome ,,,,,,,especially that upload speed , I'm so jealous you lucky dog you

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

There's more! ... ***resisting the temptation to jack the speed to 1Gb*********

Allo had their combination modem/wifi locked down tight, including all greens and no ping. I needed to have ping so my Hurricane IPv6 tunnel would work. So, they turned off the wifi part of their box and I hooked a cat7 from the Eth4 out port of the cable modem into the Eth Cable-In on the back of my Buffalo N600 wifi, and it resumed sending out 2 & 5Ghz SSID's. Ping still wouldn't come through so I called support and the tech guy said it was because I was sharing an IP address among several customers. To allow ping through the cable modem I had to have a static IP address, costing an addition $5/mo. It took the tech about 1 minute to hook it up and it took me about 1 minute to turn on the Static IP configuration section in the Buffalo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	static_settings.png
Views:	1
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	643635

One reboot later I had IPv6. 20/20, with IPv6 being the primary.

I also noticed that the DD-WRT firmware for this wireless router includes an IPv6 section which, when I enabled it, was pre-filled with my Hurricane data. But, I turned it off because it is an easy configure in /etc/network/interfaces.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 25, 2017, 08:40 PM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, the Allo tech just left and I've been playing with my shiny new 100Mbps Internet connection.
            Very nice numbers - I'm a bit jealous of your ping test
            we see things not as they are, but as we are.
            -- anais nin

Comment

Vinny had an image of his Spectrum download test in another thread. It shows the classic exponential build up in speed they use to avoid full speed from the get go. It takes about 5-10 seconds to get to advertised bandwidth and by the fifth second the page is usually loaded, which averages out to around 5-10Mbps, so the user doesn't benefit from the full bandwidth speed.
              I have to withdraw that assumption. It turns out that the HTML5 protocol is slow on the upload, not that the ISP is slow. When I run a speed test on my fiber optic connection with any other speed test website except the HTML5 variety, I get max up & down speeds. But with HTML5 I get 104Mb down and around 30Mb up. The slow up speed appears to be a problem with the HTML5 protocol, not the ISP service. ***munching the last bit of Crow***
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

We moved from central Michigan to Chattanooga, TN about a week and a half ago. There's fiber everywhere here - we opted for the 100 megabit package as none of our wireless devices will talk at gigabit speeds, but I'm pretty darned happy with the results

Plus, it was kinda great to tell Comcast to go pound sand :P
                we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
                  ...Plus, it was kinda great to tell Comcast to go pound sand :P
                  Same feeling I had taking my Spectrum cable modem back to their office three weeks ago now that I won't be reading "your promotion has expired" on their bills any more, to justify their cyclic rate hikes. I used only a week of my last month with them and their refund check is still "in the mail".

Comment

Working...
                  X