This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after updates 15-09-2017

I have just updated three similar OS, one of which (Neon dev-stable with Kubuntu 16.04 core) is my regular, every day installed OS, while the other two (neon user edition and Kubuntu 17.10) are installed on Virtual Machines. the results of the updates are as follows:

Neon hybrid: Plasma 5.10.95 (new wallpaper, nice)
    Frameworks 5.39
    QT 5.9.1
    Kernel 4.10.0-33 ( I upgraded the kernel to 4.10 a month ago)

Kubuntu 17.10: Plasma 5.10.5
    Frameworks 5.38.0
    QT 5.9.1
    Kernel 4.12.0-13

Neon User: Plasma 5.10.5
    Frameworks 5.38.0
    QT 5.9.1
    Kernel 4.10.0-33

In other words, Kubuntu 17.10 has the latest Linux kernel, and is on par with Neon User. The latter seems to be the farthest 'behind' (I doubt that's the best term to use), while my hybrid is right up to date with the latest and greatest except for the Linux kernel. All this complicates my impending decision to go straight to Neon User or to stick with Kubuntu. In fact, there's very little difference among the three at this point.
    A little question about numbers: on the two listed Linux kernel versions, the last numbers of the series are 0-13 and 0-33. I'm not sure how to interpret these numbers. Any help?

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
    A little question about numbers: on the two listed Linux kernel versions, the last numbers of the series are 0-13 and 0-33. I'm not sure how to interpret these numbers. Any help?
    they are version # ,,,,,so .0-33 is newer than .0-13 ,,,,,,in the 4.10 series.

I have 2 kernels installed at present in my Neon-hybrid as you put it

vmlinuz-4.11.0-13-generic
    and
    vmlinuz-4.11.0-14-generic
    the .0-14 is the newest

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

The "rule" for semantic version numbering is MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH. Rule is in quotes because it's not always followed IME. The kernel numbering system is VERSION.MAJOR.MINOR-PATCH

Again, the "rule" is MAJOR increments when backward-incompatible changes are made, MINOR when you add backwards-compatible functionality, and PATCH when you make backwards-compatible bug fixes.

The kernel is out-of-whack with the semantic system since Linus made the arbitrary change from 2.6 to 3.0. If you look back, you'll notice Ubuntu uses VERSION(MAJOR).MINOR.ZERO-PATCH kernel numbers.

So you could say you have kernel 4.10 patch 33.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
      X