This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok please respond to this or any OTHER rant of choice

I keep trying KDE over and over again. Starting at 4.2, then 4.6, then 4.14, then plasma. I just can't warm up to it.

1)

Yes it's configurable, but I can't get it to match Gnome's default functionality regardless of however many configuration menus you go through.
    and to continue the discussion:

2)

b) And, the plasma widgets (the equivalent of Gnome extensions) tend to be buggier, for instance, they don't really work with a vertical panel

c) or all the text doesn't fit into the widget,

d) or you have to reconfigure wireless every time for it to graph your wifi connection.

e) I think Plasma 5.x is an improvement, but I think I'm done with KDE. The frustration with the bugginess just always eventually takes over my experience, and I uninstall it.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...s_kde_in_2017/

3)

I use Gnome it really feels like every detail of the system was designed thoughtfully, it gets out of my way so I can focus on application and I get to use Wayland session while on KDE it's still unstable. Also i enjoy it's simplicity (although they could add a few things), system apps should be simple,

...they shouldn't force me to search through long menus like KDE does.

...I know many of you guys don't like removing options but some of them are really ridiculous

... just take 3D mode in sudoku app for example. Who is ever going to use it?

But if you like KDE it's great too.

I don't get people getting feisty over their desktop environment,

it's like they would like us to only have one. It's good we have many, that way if Gnome guys screw something up I can just switch to KDE and vice versa.
    or to continue

4)

Same here. I was disgusted by the big touchscreen-compatible interface. Big silly buttons for children and elderly, I thought. I hated the idea of the app drawer instead of a classic application menu. But once I started using the super key and typing the name of any app i wanted to run, I fell in love with Gnome 3. It has some definite flaws. Theme support is nothing short of a nightmare if you're into customizing your desktop.

Everything else feels primitive now. Windows, OSX, KDE... None of them feel right after using Gnome 3. A few good extensions and it's practically an ideal desktop environment. If theme support were stable, and if a few bugs were fixed, I'd have little or nothing bad to say about Gnome 3.
    aaannnddd...

5)

I mean, KDE 6 will probably be another major refactoring, but there's also no plan yet for a KDE 6. They'll be adding features to KDE 5 for a while still...

embed
    save
    parent
    give gold

[–]CarthOSassy 1 point 8 months ago

I can't imagine how it could be as big as separating KDE<>KF. I feel like that has been the excuse for such a high level of regressions - which I perfectly well can believe.

But aside from rewriting the entire desktop in... QML...

Oh god save us.
    I Mean

CANT THE DEVS GET TOGETHER ...

below...HURRICANE HUGO AND HURRICANE KATRINA...

AND HAVE A BASE...

THAT JUST WORKS...??

AND THEN PUT THE LIPSTICK ON THE PIG FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE VEGANS AND PEOPLE WHO LIKE REGULAR BACON??

AND ALL OF US GET ALONG TOGETHER?

I MEAN GET THE FUNCTIONALITY right!!

GET THE FUNCTIONALITY RIGHT...

BECAUSE ALL THOSE...

USEFUL IDIOTS...

do not CARE ABOUT WHAT IS "THE BASE"...

THEY WANT TO ADD CRAPPOLA TO THEIR USER BARS IN WINDBLOWS...

get the funtionlity...

RIGHT FOR every thing...

YES...

WE...as LInux POWER USERS KNOW THAT THERE IS A DIFFERENCE...

BUT THE NEW USER...FROM WINDBLOWS...

could care less about the pig

all that THEY care about

or that

THE REGULAR LINUX USER...

cares about after a while is...does it work?

I mean...

DOES ANYONE THINK THAT THIS KIND OF SCREEN IS GOING TO ATTRACT

ONE...

ONE...

ONE...

WINDBLOWS USER TO "nix" ?

"Linux' ...NEEDS to

finally step up and get the CORE functions to WORK and then it can go "mainstream"

otherwise...

why waste the time?

woodjustaskingsmoke

WOOD IS GETTING TIRED OF THE CRAP SMOKE

I personally dont care if Linux "goes mainstream" or not. If the majority of people want to use Windows, fine. If people move to Apple, whatever. If KDE blows up and Kubuntu dies, I will find something else that meets my needs. I gave up worrying about what operating system other people use a long time ago. Why get all angry about something that you have zero control over?

Comment

So, woodsmoke, what DE are you moving to?

Personally, I don't see this "instability" you are talking about. My Neon User Edition installation, running on twp 750Gb HD's in RAID1, with Nvidia-378, 6GB RAM, and an i7 8 thread CPU, is as stable as a rock.

What WTF says. I don't even evangelize Linux any more. It's out there. People have heard about it. IF and when they decide they've had enough of the walled gardens and such they'll come knocking. To KDE? Who knows. I've used KDE since 1.0 alpha on SuSE 5.3, released in September of 1998, and I've never found a DE that is better. I've changed the underlying distro many times, but KDE is always on top.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

As a totally non-tech user dumped MS and installed SuSE (forget which) with no problems. Enjoyed using it but then got tempted by Breezy Badger and been with Kub ever since.

OK so the Kmail / Akonadi saga was a pain in the proverbial and I did dump most of KDE except for the basics every major update. Along came Neon and answered one bugbear. Great.

Kmail is now installed again but the stream of dependencies!! - just want a simple KDE mail prog, w'out vast search capabilities.

I'm still totally non-tech but with reams of how-to's if I can ever find the one I need right now!

Comment

Working...
        X