X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nvidia-384

the nvidia-384 driver is bad/broken/quirky at current ,,,,,,, see

[UPDATE] Warning: NVIDIA driver 384.69 seems to be broken with QtQuick – Martin's Blog

downgrade to the 381 if you are using it and experiencing odd behavior

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Thanks for the warning and I notice that the problem is with KWin and KScreenLocker. The latter is easy to avoid using. I must say that I have been using nvidia-384 for some weeks now without any problem. In fact, I have found that LibreOffice Presentation now works as it should with my external monitor connected via HDMI. Previously I had to use the VGA connection for it to work properly.

I have not yet tried to see if the HDMI audio works as it failed with the nvidia-381. If anyone has had success with HDMI audio on version 384, I would be interested to know

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
      Thanks for the warning and I notice that the problem is with KWin and KScreenLocker. The latter is easy to avoid using. I must say that I have been using nvidia-384 for some weeks now without any problem. In fact, I have found that LibreOffice Presentation now works as it should with my external monitor connected via HDMI. Previously I had to use the VGA connection for it to work properly.

I have not yet tried to see if the HDMI audio works as it failed with the nvidia-381. If anyone has had success with HDMI audio on version 384, I would be interested to know
      I have not had any problems with HDMI sound or output on any nvidia driver from the

Code:
      #graphics drivers (nvidia)
      deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/graphics-drivers/ppa/ubuntu/ xenial main
      at all except the screen locker and some kwin crashes (that auto reloaded) on the 384 one

this on a GTX-860M with 4GIB ram (of it's own) the system has 16GIB

VINNY
      16GB RAM

Comment

I have the same ppa as you for the NVIDIA drivers. My video card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M with 2GB which is now a little over 5 years old.

With this card I do not get audio from the HDMI but, with the 384 driver, the format of say Gwenview images is much better on our digital TV.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          the nvidia-384 driver is bad/broken/quirky at current ,,,,,,, see

[UPDATE] Warning: NVIDIA driver 384.69 seems to be broken with QtQuick – Martin's Blog

downgrade to the 381 if you are using it and experiencing odd behavior

VINNY
          Update

Together with NVIDIA we figured out the root problem causing the crash. The sandbox of the lockscreen introduced in Plasma 5.10 is too restrictive for the NVIDIA driver. We have now worked around the issue by removing parts of the sandbox when running on NVIDIA and released a Plasma 5.10.5.1 release. This should be shipped to distributions shortly. We will look into a way to make the sandbox work again also for NVIDIA users with Plasma 5.11.
          Now in Kubuntu for:

Artful archive: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...0.5.1-0ubuntu1

Zesty backports PPA: https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+...s_filter=zesty
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

that was pretty quick ,,,,,Nice

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

that was pretty quick ,,,,,Nice

VINNY
              Indeed . . . . Light years ahead of MS$

Code:
              The following NEW packages will be installed:
              libkf5plotting5 libktorrent6
              The following packages will be upgraded:
              kde-config-screenlocker ktorrent ktorrent-data libkscreenlocker5 libktorrent-l10n
              5 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
              This is what I woke up to this morning!

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                Indeed . . . . Light years ahead of MS$

Microsoft's ploy was to threaten the people who discovered their security holes with lawsuits if they reported their findings to the general public or to anyone else but them. Then Microsoft would set on those security holes until it was in their financial interest to release a patch, all the while claiming that they patched the hole "zero day".
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have not had any problems with HDMI sound or output on any nvidia driver from the

Code:
                  #graphics drivers (nvidia)
                  deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/graphics-drivers/ppa/ubuntu/ xenial main
                  at all except the screen locker and some kwin crashes (that auto reloaded) on the 384 one

this on a GTX-860M with 4GIB ram (of it's own) the system has 16GIB

VINNY
                  I had all kinds of trouble getting HDMI sound using any nvidia driver beyond 340 using Neon and a GTX 780 (3 years old). I also had video trouble with one or two of the newer-than-340 versions. Whoever is in charge of Linux drivers at nvidia is slipping IMO. I see no reason to upgrade my video driver at this point

Someday, when I have a minute, I am going to try out the built-in Intel video card and hope it's good enough for my needs. If so, I'm done with nVidia video cards.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                  X